Question How to use an Android phone as a Desktop PC?

Mar 31, 2024
I have an older relative with a very old Windows 10 desktop computer that cannot be upgraded to Windows 11. When I told her that she may have to change computers come October next year (end of support for Windows 10) she was horrified, she does not want to relearn.

However, she is happy with her Android phone and I wonder if she could use her Android phone as a desktop PC with a USB-C hub like the one here https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Display-MacBook-Thinkpad-Laptops/dp/B0BQLLB61B/

...and connect monitor, keyboard and mouse to the USB-C hub.

How well will such an arrangement work? All she does is browse the web and email on her current Windows 10 desktop machine, so there are minimal performance requirements.

Has anybody tried using an Android phone as a desktop machine?

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The learning curve is not terrible. My nearly 88 y/o FiL made the transition easily, as did my 80 y/o neighbor.

The old hardware of your relative is likely a limiting factor as well.

Aside from that, I have used an Android device as a "desktop". For basic tasks, like checking email and browsing, it is fine. For more complicated tasks, not so much.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It "looked" like a bigger version of my Android home screen. I could open a single app at a time and use (with keyboard/mouse) very much I would have otherwise done in "phone mode". There was very little difference, if any.

Mar 31, 2024
The 'very little difference' would be the key to assure her continued happiness :)

I found the articles below on how certain Samsung DeX enabled Galaxy phones can be used as a desktop computer. There are other DRS (Desktop Replacement Smartphone) product concepts, but only Samsung appears to have a serious product.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It has been four years since I played with this, so my experience is dated. It was Android and nothing special. I just did as an experiment.

Honestly, I think the concern over Win 10's lifespan is the bigger issue and not one to lose a lot of sleep over now. There are tools to make Win 11 look/feel like Win 10. Under the hood, so to speak, they are VERY similar.

Mar 31, 2024
Hey, not to belabor the point, but it is her discomfort with the Windows (and the impending changes in particular)

and her comfort with Android

that is the topic of this thread..

You missed that entirely.