Blue-green bubble divide — the state of iOS and Android messaging and how it’s about to change

May 11, 2024
This blue bubble / green bubble "divide" is so US centric and so boring at this stage. For some reasons Americans don't seem to know that 3rd party message apps are multiplatform and seamless. Obviously I'm talking about WhatsApp. Telegram. Signal. I wish tech writers would stop this boring topic and rather explore what it is about the US specifically that makes Americans never use non default apps.

schwaggins

Prominent
Oct 22, 2022
Last year, China's government began the process of requiring all 5G smartphones sold in the country to support RCS as a condition of regulatory certification.
This is why Apple is doing it.
Expect RCS to be fully supported like any other Chinese RCS device.

May 11, 2024
This blue bubble / green bubble "divide" is so US centric and so boring at this stage. For some reasons Americans don't seem to know that 3rd party message apps are multiplatform and seamless. Obviously I'm talking about WhatsApp. Telegram. Signal. I wish tech writers would stop this boring topic and rather explore what it is about the US specifically that makes Americans never use non default apps.
Yes it is US centric cause unlike in Europe the US gave SMS and talk minutes Free. So there was no need for something else at the time. The reason why the US don't use non default apps is exactly that, they are non default. People unless given a specific reason won't change what they have already.

When Apple did iMessage it was interesting that you got all this on iPhone to iPhone and SMS which was still used by every one else. Then better options like Whatsapp and signal came along. For myself I loved Whatsapp until Zuck bought them. At that point I dropped them like a hot potato. Meanwhile with Apple's here they built a cult following since for many it just worked. Nevermind that there was something better, to them it was all there to begin with. Then you have group pressure of "Why don't you have iMessage?". Even though they know you have an android phone. There was a hope years ago that iMessage would come to android. That was until they realized it could be used as a lock in to keep people on iOS.

So here we are now. Let's hope RCS will help.

May 11, 2024
Yes it is US centric cause unlike in Europe the US gave SMS and talk minutes Free. So there was no need for something else at the time. The reason why the US don't use non default apps is exactly that, they are non default. People unless given a specific reason won't change what they have already.

When Apple did iMessage it was interesting that you got all this on iPhone to iPhone and SMS which was still used by every one else. Then better options like Whatsapp and signal came along. For myself I loved Whatsapp until Zuck bought them. At that point I dropped them like a hot potato. Meanwhile with Apple's here they built a cult following since for many it just worked. Nevermind that there was something better, to them it was all there to begin with. Then you have group pressure of "Why don't you have iMessage?". Even though they know you have an android phone. There was a hope years ago that iMessage would come to android. That was until they realized it could be used as a lock in to keep people on iOS.

So here we are now. Let's hope RCS will help.
Crossing my fingers!

Bradmyers99

Estimable
Aug 20, 2019
II think happen is you know how when if an Android person text an Android person over RCS it's going to be the exact same thing and yeah you are going to be able to do the whole live liking and whatever because you can do that on Android so if you can do it on Android it should be cross platform in the RCS so I mean it's kind of weird because sometimes when my mom sends me a heart or something it'll show up on the message but then sometimes it'll say Peggy liked your message and it's just weird because it's looks like they're working on it but then they're backtracking and then working on it then backtracking I'm not sure. I can only hope because I'm not going to be pushed into buying an apple I'm just not going to ever.