While the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is brand new, it still relies on a good old battery to work. In the early days of ownership, any battery issues you may have should be covered under warranty and any remedial work should be done by a Dell technician at an authorized location. However, when your device is out of warranty this battery replacement guide for your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 should help.
As the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is an ultra-portable, removing the battery is a little more involved than unclipping and sliding it out. It is actually screwed onto the chassis and connected to the mainboard using a cable. While not a difficult procedure to undertake, it is more involved than replacing many other types of laptop battery.
If you’re not sure what you’re doing, take it to an expert. If you’re confident in your skills, read on.
Battery replacement for the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
To replace the battery in a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, follow these steps.
1. Remove the eight screws that secure the base cover to the chassis.
2. Peel back the XPS badge carefully and remove the hidden screw.
3. Gently pry the base away from the chassis until it is free.
4. Disconnect the battery from the mainboard.
5. Remove the eight screws that secure the battery in place.
6. Lift the battery out of position.
7. Place the new battery into the correct position and ensure it lines up with the screw holes.
8. Replace the eight screws holding the battery in place.
9. Reconnect the battery cable to the mainboard.
10. Replace the base cover, making sure to align it exactly.
11. Replace the eight screws into the base cover and the one underneath the XPS badge.
The process is quite straightforward but does involve delving into the depths of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1. If you want to perform this task yourself but aren’t entirely confident, take pictures of how everything looks before taking the battery out. Then you have something to refer to should you get stuck. Keep the screws safe, use an electrostatic wristband or work mat and be slow and methodical. You’ll be fine!