How to Fix ‘No Audio’ Problems on Roku

url]

Roku can play video content from a wide variety of streaming sources - which is great, unless the audio output on your Roku player isn’t working. There are several troubleshooting options available to fix the problem. You can do it yourself by following these simple steps.

1. Check the ‘HDMI Connection’
A faulty HDMI connection can be the reason behind no/poor audio from your Roku player. Check that your HDMI cable is properly plugged into both the TV and your Roku player. If the HDMI cable is too short for your purposes, get an HDMI cable extender.
If you are using a composite cable to connect to your TV, make sure the audio connector is attached to the correct ports on both the TV and the Roku player.
url]

2. Open ‘Audio Settings’
Go to ‘Settings’ by scrolling down the main menu from ‘Home’.
In Settings, scroll down to reach ‘Audio’ settings, and select it. The Audio Settings screen will open.
url]

3. Select ‘Audio Mode’
Use your remote to scroll down to the 'Audio Mode' option in the 'Audio Settings'. There are two options available here, 'Stereo' and 'Auto'. Choose the Stereo option using the trackpad on your remote, and select it. This will stop any error in audio selection by your Roku device.
url]

4. Select ‘HDMI’
Select the ‘HDMI settings’ from the ‘Audio’ menu, using the remote trackpad. You can change the HDMI option from ‘Auto’ to ‘PCM -Stereo’ or ‘Dolby D/D+’. Check each of the options in turn, and see if your Roku device delivers audio.
With the right combination of ‘Audio Mode’ and ‘HDMI’ preference, your Roku player will be able to output audio again.
url]

Your Roku device will produce audio after following the above steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockinjdranch

Estimable
Aug 22, 2016
It worked! I contacted Roku and besides the language barrier, they were less than helpful. When I asked to speak to someone whose primary language was English, that didn't happen, All I got was someone who was a bit, and I mean a bit, easier to understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.