A Hard Reset, also known as Factory Reset or Master Reset is one of the most effective troubleshooting tools in your phone’s arsenal for dealing with software issues. A Hard Reset will restore your phone to the original factory settings and will erase all your personal data on the internal storage including downloaded apps, pictures, music, downloads, contacts etc.
The process is irreversible and the information cannot be recovered, so it is very important to back up all your personal information before performing a Hard Reset. It is for this reason that a Hard Reset should ideally be used as a last resort once all other attempted software fixes have failed.
Below, we have outlined step by step two ways in which to perform a hard reset on your phone.
1. Hard Reset from Settings Menu
1. Firstly, before you proceed with the hard reset, it is highly recommended that you back up all of your important data on a computer, hard drive or external SD card.
2. On the home screen, swipe up to open the Apps screen.
3. Tap the settings icon.
4. Go to General Management -> Reset-> Factory data reset.
5. Tap Reset.
6. Tap Delete All (If you have a Samsung account or screen lock set up on your phone, you may be required to enter your credentials before proceeding.)
2. Hard Reset with Hardware Keys
1. As mentioned previously, before you proceed with the hard reset, it is highly recommended that you back up all of your important data on a computer, hard drive or external SD card.
2. Ensure the device is turned off
3. Press and hold the Bixby key and the Volume up key, then press and hold the Power key.
4. When the Android mascot appears, release all keys. You should see “Installing system update” for approximately 30-60 seconds before the Android system recovery menu appears.
5. Use the Volume down key to navigate through the recovery menu and highlight “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” and press the Power key to select.
6. Press the Volume down key until ‘yes’ is highlighted and press the Power key.
7. When the Factory reset is complete, press the Power key to select “Reboot system now”. The phone will restart with all data reset.