Here is a cool feature from Apple; the split screen! Now you can work on two separate windows simultaneously. This feature is a handy addition to the MacOS's already packed armory of useful features. Well, for starters this might be a bit tricky to set up and adapt to. But, with time, you will see the difference it can make to your productivity.
So, let's get straight to the comprehensive step by step guide on how to set up and use the split screen feature.
1. First, make sure that you have your MacOS updated to the latest possible version. Now, open the system preferences App by clicking on the icon on the dock. You can do this by clicking the Apple icon on the MacOS menu bar and clicking on "System Preferences" from the drop-down menu.
2. From the System Preferences window, click on "Mission Control".
3. In the mission control window, tick the "Displays Have Separate Spaces" checkbox.
4. Now, close the window and log yourself out of the MacOS. Then, log back in.
5. Split screen feature is enabled in your MacOS now. To see how it works, let's open the Safari browser from the dock.
6. On the Safari browser, click the green colored expansion button which you find in the top left corner and hold it. You will see the screen in the background split into two parts.
7. While clicking and holding the expansion button, drag the Safari browser to both sides of the screen, back and forth. You will notice that the side you drag, Safari gets selected or blue colored.
8. Select the side you want to drop the Safari window and release the expansion button. You will see the browser window fit into that half of the screen.
9. Now, open another Safari by clicking on "File" on the Safari browser menu bar and selecting "New Window." You will see the two windows on the screen now. Click on the expansion button on the browser window in front.
10. You will see the clicked browser window fit into one side and the other window in a smaller size on the other. Click on the smaller Safari window and the two windows will align side by side on an evenly split screen.
11. Now you can browse any website you like on both the windows at the same time. You can do this for videos, presentations and for any two programs.
12. So, now that you know how to use the split screen feature, let's see how to get back to the normal screen. Click on the close button of one of the Safari windows and close it.
13. On the remaining Safari window, click on the expansion button. You will see the browser window drop into the normal desktop of the MacOS.
That's it! Now enjoy the split screen feature and increase your productivity.