0% available (plugged in, charging)

minimini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
I have an Asus laptop and it has been a year with me. It's original charger wasn;t working anymore so i borrowed my friend's Asus laptop charger to charge my laptop. It wasn't used for almost 3 weeks. But when i used the borrowed charger, it says 0% available (plugged in, charging). Tho exceeds that point, like it was 20% charged after how many minutes of charging, when I unplugged the charger, the device turns off. Is it because i'm not using the original charger or a possibility that the batteries are dead? Any help/advice is appreciated!

Solution
Did you leave the laptop with a dead battery for 3 weeks? Then the battery is probably damaged.

Lithium-ion batteries can catch fire or explode if they are overcharged, or if the are discharged too much and you attempt to recharge them. Consequently, manufacturers build in safeguards which "kill" the battery if either of these conditions happen. If you ran the laptop until the battery died (drained it to 0%), and then left it sitting for 3 weeks, the slow self-discharge rate of the battery probably dropped it below this lower threshold and the battery killed itself to prevent you from causing any physical damage.

In the future, never discharge a battery to 0% (except for calibration). If you do drain it to 0%, recharge it...
Hi,

It seems like the battery is already damaged but please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the "microsoft acpi-compliant battery control method" from Device Manager.
- If the same problem will persist after uninstalling/reinstalling the battery driver proceed with testing the AC adapter.
- Remove the battery off the laptop then plug in the AC adapter and see if the laptop will boot up with just the charger connected.
- If the laptop will not boot up with just the AC adapter connected that means the AC adapter is faulty.
- Do try a different AC adapter that has the same voltage as well and see if it will boot up or not.
- If a different AC adapter will work and charge the battery that means your charger needs to be replaced.

minimini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

Thank you so much for replying! I'd be sure to do those steps.

Did you leave the laptop with a dead battery for 3 weeks? Then the battery is probably damaged.

Lithium-ion batteries can catch fire or explode if they are overcharged, or if the are discharged too much and you attempt to recharge them. Consequently, manufacturers build in safeguards which "kill" the battery if either of these conditions happen. If you ran the laptop until the battery died (drained it to 0%), and then left it sitting for 3 weeks, the slow self-discharge rate of the battery probably dropped it below this lower threshold and the battery killed itself to prevent you from causing any physical damage.

In the future, never discharge a battery to 0% (except for calibration). If you do drain it to 0%, recharge it immediately. Set your laptop's backlight to different levels when on battery vs when on AC power. That way you can immediately tell if the AC adapter has stopped working for some reason and you're draining the battery. That'll prevent accidentally draining the battery to 0%.

And I will amend one thing Laptop_Nerd said:
- If the laptop will not boot up with just the AC adapter connected that means the AC adapter is faulty.
It means the AC adapter or the laptop's power port is faulty. If another AC adapter doesn't work as well, your laptop's power port is probably broken, and you'll need to take it to a laptop repair shop.

Solution