Solved! 1.5 hr battery on a brand new laptop! is that normal?

The Dude

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
Hello guys,

I bought a new gaming laptop about a week ago, it's an Asus fx503vm, equipped with an i5 7300HQ, GTX 1060 3GB, ssd+hdd, and a 120hz monitor.
everything works perfectly, the performance is as expected, except for the battery that even on battery saver mode, it gets from 100% to 10% in about an hour an a half, and when i'm using it on battery, it's only to navigate on the internet. just chrome.
is that normal? or do i have to do something to make it better?

Solution
You may want to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop. I've had one Asus laptop come in which was the S510U-BQ739T and it had an issue with plugged-in, not charging. I did a BIOS update but that didn't change much. The issue went away soon after a reinstall of the OS.

I'd suggest backing up any/all critical content, recreate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.

Lutfij

Splendid
You may want to see if there are any BIOS updates available for your laptop. I've had one Asus laptop come in which was the S510U-BQ739T and it had an issue with plugged-in, not charging. I did a BIOS update but that didn't change much. The issue went away soon after a reinstall of the OS.

I'd suggest backing up any/all critical content, recreate your bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then reinstall the OS.

Solution

The Dude

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

The BIOS updated automatically when i turned it on for the first time, and i just checked the version which is 306 but the latest version available is 305 for some reason.
The reinstalling windows solution would be my last bet, since it takes a lot of time

robert600

Distinguished
This from a review of your laptop:

"Battery Life

When subjected to the Battery Eater testing tool, the ASUS FX503 took just 1 hour and 4 minutes to dissipate its entire charge.

As is the case with many gaming laptops, you could burn through a fully charge in just over the time it takes to watch the average episode of Game of Thrones. Frankly, this isn’t a great result - but it’s not far outside the average for gaming laptops, which usually suffer in this area."

The Dude

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

I think i saw that review before purchasing the laptop, and i just confirmed it, and for this test they used battery eater test, which is not indicative of real usage of the laptop, for normal non gaming use it should be about 4 hours