[citation][nom]knickle[/nom]...because Sony stuff never ever catches on fire or explodes.[/citation]
Maybe their notebook batteries. But I haven't heard of a stationary Sony DVD player powered by a Sony Lithium battery, nor read about 1.5 million or any of their DVD players catching fire as the one in the article. But I see where you're going.
Sony stuff never explodes....LOL! They weren't even good at putting out the metaphorical 'fire' they had as a result of all those battery issues. Certainly did not make me want to buy sony. This can be a risk with any brand large or small. Bottom line is that (generally) you get what you pay for.
It's not just the players from Wal-Mart that suck. At lunch today, my friend opened a brand new DVD (Boondock Saints) that he bought from Wal-Mart and tried to play it and it wouldn't play because it was too scratched up.
So we have 5 in 1,500,000 over a course of three years that caught fire and a total of 12 that overheated? Don't buy this DVD player it has a 0.0000008% chance of overheating and a 0.0000003% of catching fire.