$1.7 Million PlayBook Shipment Stolen at Truck Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

synd

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Yeah, good job truck driver. Carrying 1.7million truck load and being so careless.... good job finding an other job until the rest of your life... probably unemployed forever

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Dumbest thieves ever... Perhaps thought they were stealing iPads. Even on the non techie news sites... People laugh at how worthless the the play books are.

seezur

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
This sort of thing happens all the time. Highway theft in America is one of the last few sources of income for organized crime (besides drugs of course). For every load of expensive electronics that are stolen at least 1 or 2 trucks of worthless crap is stolen.

I saw a report once where they uncovered a warehouse that was being used to store stolen loads. 1 of those loads was nothing but number 2 pencils and another was just pillows.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gbismack[/nom]$1.7 million in Playbooks... that'll net a couple hundred online. Playbooks are useless, buggy, slow, heavy.[/citation]
Yeah, but if the 'thieves' will re-sale it for U$49.99, I would buy one.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]seezur[/nom] I saw a report once where they uncovered a warehouse that was being used to store stolen loads. 1 of those loads was nothing but number 2 pencils and another was just pillows.[/citation]

Hey now how do you know these criminals didn't just need further neck support in bed? And to sketch out their crime plans? :p

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hint for HP. Next time you manufacture a huge batch of useless tablets, put all your production in a cargo ship and sink it in the middle of the ocean ;-)
RIM will get money from an insurance company for tablets they could barely sell at a decent price...

G

the insurance is gonna pay full price for them which actually improves their position.
if they were to try and sell it to the average stupid joe themselves, they'd have to do it at basement bargain prices again.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I wonder if the trucker talked to someone about his cargo. 1.7mln in a single truck is a lot of money. If you do like Dole and paint your trucks with pictures of fruit then thieves would never bother to hijack your bananas.

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Almost all trucks have GPS installed. They are dirt cheap. Even the crappy logistics companies have GPS locators installed to make sure their drivers are not breaking DOT rules for travel time. These devices are usually tied into the ignition, so the trucks can't move if the drivers decide to tamper with them. I find it impossible to believe that a truck with 1.7 million in cargo does not have GPS.

LukeyB

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
OS 2.0 will bring a lot of value back to the PlayBook, in my honest opinion, its a sign that this universal platform should be market ready. I know Playbooks, with the 199 for 16GB sale, are selling like made in anticipation of that. RIM is playing it cautious i think on this one, its make or break. One more bad release could spell liquidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.