1.76 Billion iOS, Android Apps Downloaded Last Week of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Mobile apps are cheap and easily accessible since the majority of people now own smart phones. It's not really a surprise at all to see these numbers. Still I would say the majority of apps out there are nothing more than amusing time wasters.

As a user of the iPhone and now Android for some time, I still only use a core set of apps that I find useful. You could probably lump every single app in both markets (Android and Apple) into like 5 or 6 main categories. There isn't really anything new or innovative being done.

Not to hate or anything, I just think mobile apps and their importance is WAY overrated.

mydrrin

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
It's not that it's importance can be overrated. Games have always been time wasters and people are spending their money on mobile games and not on DS's and Vita software. There is a dramatic shift in where money is being spent. Sure you can say that they aren't worth whatever you paid, but you can say that far more than the DS title you paid $30-$40 for, than for a $1-2 that gave you the same amount of time of entertainment.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
[citation][nom]mydrrin[/nom]It's not that it's importance can be overrated. Games have always been time wasters and people are spending their money on mobile games and not on DS's and Vita software. There is a dramatic shift in where money is being spent. Sure you can say that they aren't worth whatever you paid, but you can say that far more than the DS title you paid $30-$40 for, than for a $1-2 that gave you the same amount of time of entertainment.[/citation]

I have played very few $2-$4 games on iOS or Android that have the same level of content/complexity as full games developed for gaming platforms. Most $1 games I download might get a few hours before I move on, most platform games are designed for 20+ hours of gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.