$1.92 Million to RIAA P2P Verdict Challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I just want to remind folks to never buy any music from any artist and/or label who has signed with the RIAA.They are assholes and in more than one way and to stop them we must hurt them in their wallets.

THere are thousands of independent artists like myself who are perfectly willing to give you free music and who will never sign with a corporate label or the RIAA.
I have a ton of free 320k mp3 of my art at
www.bigmeathammer.com go to the archives page.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Again I have to say this; Rich Industrial Assholes of America. It's not like they need the 1.92M,care about it, or need the compensation, they just want to scare people away from file sharing, because with fillers, and a very outdated and flimsy marketing model they can't keep up with digital distribution and instead of updating their business model, all they do is up the copyright protection until what they sell becomes useless.
Like the statement from the lawyer, the plaintiff (RIAA) failed to prove that the damages were significant to the company, considering she was neither commercially using it (selling what she downloaded) or doing something like running a server to upload it millions of times again.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
They claim she shared 1708 songs. at $1.50 (more than iTunes value of the songs likely) * 1708 = $2,562.

So if she bought every song she illegally downloaded and redistributed, the verdict wouldn't come near what they are asking. This is absurd. The judgment should be reduced 500x. Plain and simple.

My question is why is she responsible for the actions of others? What happens when the other people get caught who downloaded the 1,700 songs??? Do they get more money? It doesn't seem to fair to get both the uploader and the downloader.

Maybe you consider the legal fees, but I wouldn't because I think these guys are as close to crooks as you can get.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Poor unlucky guy! Unlike us he got caught . 1.92 mill for 24 songs is just outrageous. I don't see any song that could be worth 80,000 with the crap artist have been making lately. If i were to buy a disc i might listen to 1 or 2 songs max the rest i could care less about.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]tipmen[/nom]Poor unlucky guy! Unlike us he got caught . 1.92 mill for 24 songs is just outrageous. I don't see any song that could be worth 80,000 with the crap artist have been making lately. If i were to buy a disc i might listen to 1 or 2 songs max the rest i could care less about.[/citation]

That's the problem, their business model **WORKED** like this. If we put 5 low quality songs on an album, 2 good ones, and 3 decent ones we have a full album. And JUST so they can listen to those good songs they'll pay us the full ammount for the album. And now no one pays for albums, we filter out the crap and pay per song (99c-129c whatever) and they blame their money loss on piracy, which although it does cost them, but not nearly as much as their cheap marketing. They made a lot of money the cheap way, and now they are getting F*'d for it, so they use all the money they have to blame it on someone else and hire good prosecution so they can get these big cases settled their way. It's not right.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Reading comprehension for the win.[/citation]
True, but its been one hell of a day for me.

G

JTR is a moron. She was offered a settlement for $5,000 by the RIAA at least twice, possibly three times. Now she's asking a judge to reduce the 1.92m to $18,000?

Good job, crack legal team.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^seriously now, isn't 5000$ for 24 songs still insanely excessive? Tell me if that happened to you that you wouldn't try to fight it.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
You know what baffles me, is who are these jurists? Do they not have the same access to the same information that we have? Do they not possess the same common sense as must of us posters that see the same unethical malice witch hunt that the RIAA has been putting forth all these years? It astounds me that in America people still live like sheep following and believing what anyone in the smallest role of authority tell'em. RIAA/MPAA are not losing money from file sharing, you can't lose what you didn't have to begin with!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
An idiot jury of our peers decided that $80,000 per song was fair, not the RIAA. The legal teams must have scoured the country looking for the biggest morons they could find and assembled them for jury duty. If I am in the jury and the other folks decide that $80,000 a song is fair then we have a stuck jury because I'm not signing off on it. Not one sane person in the jury. I wouldn't have settled for $80,000 TOTAL.

Please not that although the RIAA is full of scum bag POS morons they did try to offer this lady $3,000 (total) to settle out of court and she wanted none of it. Just stupidity all around. Stupidity from almost everyone involved. A glowing example of a failing legal system.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Itunes music sucks too (as far as money for the artist). My uncle put his music on itunes (Tim Hadler, he does country music) and he gets paid literally pennies for each song sold. So itunes makes around 95% for holding files on a server and allowing people to search for it...??? That's a lot of BS if you ask me. Anyways my point is (to make this go with this article lol) music tyrants are all a load of BS.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
My uncle put his music on itunes (Tim Hadler, he does country music) and he gets paid literally pennies for each song sold.

He's lucky. I've got a friend who produced a movie, has Warner distributing it for the last 3 years, and hasn't received a dime. They don't seem to know how many they've sold yet. THREE YEARS and they haven't figured it out? How do they stay in business if their accounting is so bad?!? (Hint - it's easy to make a profit if you don't pay expenses.)

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
So... um... did someone roll up the paper the eigth amendment was written on and use it smoke weed...? There has to be some reason this rediculous fine was even thought up....

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]So... um... did someone roll up the paper the eigth amendment was written on and use it smoke weed...? There has to be some reason this rediculous fine was even thought up....[/citation]
The 8th amendment doesn't apply to civil lawsuits. Only criminal.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]o0RaidR0o[/nom]You know what baffles me, is who are these jurists? Do they not have the same access to the same information that we have? Do they not possess the same common sense as must of us posters that see the same unethical malice witch hunt that the RIAA has been putting forth all these years? It astounds me that in America people still live like sheep following and believing what anyone in the smallest role of authority tell'em. RIAA/MPAA are not losing money from file sharing, you can't lose what you didn't have to begin with![/citation]

The problem is that most likely during jury selection anyone with a bias either way was taken out. So if any potential juror admitted to having file shared before, (or even knowing someone who did) they were most likely taken out of consideration. Therefore really only leaving people who look at it blindly and just say "Well it's against the law....put them in hell." That and people who don't even understand file sharing/what actually happened. I'm sure the prosecution made it sound very conniving and made her sound like she had planned out some grand escapade for free song downloading.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]So... um... did someone roll up the paper the eigth amendment was written on and use it smoke weed...? There has to be some reason this rediculous fine was even thought up....[/citation]
+1
Because we have no rights in civil court? That doesn't seem quite right somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.