1 Gbps Wi-Fi In Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Isn't 4G -internet- supposed to be up to 1Gbps and is already being implemented in the US?

I might be wrong about that, but if it's true - isn't 802.11ac way behind the times?

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Great... But it wont make my connection speed to the internet any faster.[/citation]

Exactly. Some times it feels like they are missing the point, really. I rather they focous on speeding up ADSL lines etc cause both speeds and prices will drop than offering me a way more expensive router in the future with no use with a few exceptions. NOT the wider consumer though. Then again... The guys that work on WiFi tech arent the same ones but I mean.. Someone needs to catch up on them in order for me to be actually excited over this kind of news.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Gee, are they going to cripple it with the same "good neighbor", cram it in the wireless G band policy that makes N so slow, or are they going to put it in it's own frequency band so it can run unrestricted? N in all it's 300 Mbps half-duplex glory only achieves close to 100 base-t throughput at best in a noiseless environment.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]ubernoobie[/nom]huh? ac? shouldn't it be like m or something? ac stands for air conditioning[/citation]
If you're thinking of the next letter after 'n', it's 'o'
But since 'o' looks a lot like '0' (zero) it has been omitted from the standard so the next one up is 'p'. But since that and the next lot of letters is taken already, i guess the next available one for them is 'ac'.
Here's a full list if anyone is interested:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Standard_and_amendments

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Side effects include: microwaving of the user, brain damage, and severe skin burning.

/Sarcasm

But you've got to wonder how you nearly triple the output of a wireless signal without any side effects, especially when there's already speculations about cell phones and such.

timberwolf1128

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]Exactly. Some times it feels like they are missing the point, really. I rather they focous on speeding up ADSL lines etc cause both speeds and prices will drop than offering me a way more expensive router in the future with no use with a few exceptions. NOT the wider consumer though. Then again... The guys that work on WiFi tech arent the same ones but I mean.. Someone needs to catch up on them in order for me to be actually excited over this kind of news.[/citation]

As much as id love faster interweb speeds really the only one to blame for how slow are current speeds are is the ISP's.

Also even though it is faster then your internet it will increase speed in the Intranetwork which is a great value to businesses and people who like to network everything together.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
For right now, 802.11n impresses me. I currently still use 802.11g in my home but that's just for internet, not large files across the network. Still, I see why they need to keep planning for the future.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Why can't we just use bytes dammit!
BYTES!

Yes, I would love to have 125MB/s wireless. Make file transfers easier (as compared to my crappy 820.11n).

Status
Not open for further replies.