1 in 5 Divorces Blamed on Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If they're stupid enough to think they can get away with cheating online with someone, what's to stop them from taking things one step further and cheating for real?

They get what they deserve.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
1 in 872,575,283 Are the odds that i care, people are people, you cannot stop them no matter what. There will always be cheating. Facebook only widens the range.

bunga28

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Blame the partner, not the social networks. If there were no facebook, the spouse would still be an ass/hole. We have become a blame-game society....from the president down to the homeless person (the homeless would say something like, well, the government doesn't help me, which is why i'm homeless...)

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
This is why I only check my facebook once every week or so. There are just too many things that can go wrong on these social networking sites. Some people really aren't mature enough to handle all of the social possibilities I guess. It's just sad that people have to blame their divorces on Facebook now. I guess we have made the switch from cheating via phone calls to cheating via internet. But if you were going to cheat, why the hell would you do it through facebook? I don't condone cheating, but facebook is so impersonal. why would you not just call the person or see them face to face? times have definitely changed, and it's just my opinion but i think its for the worse. I love technology and networking to grow, but facebook sucks everything personal out of relationships. I think it's fine if it's a supplement to your networking, but it's sad if Facebook is your main source of talking with people.

*sigh*, sorry for the rant. i just find this all very stupid.

agrubb

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
This study does not state whether the 989 instances of the word Facebook are from 989 separate petitions of the 5000 they sampled. One person could have written Facebook that many times in one petition and the results would be much different. Also, is Facebook to blame? Do we blame cars for killing people or the drivers behind the wheel? Sounds like Divorce-Online just wants some attention. This wouldn't be a headline if it read "Dishonesty Ruins Marriage".

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Well, the article does not say Facebook is at any fault, only that Facebook was one of the single largest mediums that a person has to track down a cheating spouse's activities. Have not you ever heard the old saying, if you crap in your own backyard, you are going to eventually step in it? Using your social networking accounts to commit adulterous activity is just plain stupid.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Yeah, cause I'm sure Facebook made them conduct inappropriate chats.This is NOT Facebook's fault. Stop blaming something other than yourself.[/citation]

Totally agreed.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
LOL @ statistics.

"Facebook was named in one out of five American divorce petitions"

"I was really surprised to see 20-percent of all the petitions"

"he discovered 989 instances of the word in 5,000 petitions"

Any other ways you care to say that the petitions contain a 1:5 ratio of facebook to facebook-free text?

How about explaining the likelihood that "Divorce-Online" gets most of their web hits from ads they take out on Facebook? It's pretty darn disingenuous to say "one in five of ALL divorces blamed on facebook"; a less misleading title would be "of people who share their divorce stories on 'Divorce-Online' one in five cited facebook as chief scapegoat". I bet at least half of everyone who uses 'Divorce-Online' is a regular facebook user, and currently has their relationship status set to "it's complicated".

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
LOL - Who in their right minds believe statistics out a lawyer's mouth?
Sounds like LAWYERS are exploiting FB as a way to get their clients a nice settlement.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
There must be some pretty stupid people out there. They must be writting their password down on paper or not logging out of their accounts when there done. And yes i think if your going to have alittle innocent fun on the internet you might want to consider useing a bogus name and password and don't write them down or share your info with others and always log out of afacebook. And last but not least, you can paswword protect your PC as Well. Pretty simple i'm telling you!

Status
Not open for further replies.