10 Tools for Creating and Editing MKVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Virtualdub is capable of cutting, pasting, and moving parts of the video.

But i concede that is so opaque that is easy to miss how to do it.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Virturaldub + AvsP Mod is one of the most powerful and wonderful tools for doing video cleanup, resizing/upscaling, and fixing issues with 'mixed media' issues (found in old Anime and live action movies that combine CG video with animation or traditional film/video). You can technically even do editing in it, though I would not do anything more than a simple trim and save real editing for a good multi-track editior.

bruin12

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks! I now can easily pirate movies :) I didn't know the studios are pirates themselves, putting MKV files on DVD and Blu-rays.

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
AVI-Mux GUI is an awesome tool for someone who actually wants to learn the file structure of an MKV file. Its EBML tree viewer lets you easily isolate the elements of an MKV file and see their hexadecimal representation. The layman might want to stay away, but its priceless for a developer who's read the docs on MKV and wants to see what one looks like in practice.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
What I'm looking for is a lossless editing software where I can take MTS files from my Sony camcorder, merge them, cut whatever I don't need, and create MKV, keeping the timer as subtitles (off by default), keeping GPS data (somehow/maybe subtitles too?), and keeping original 5.1 audio. Without doing any re-encoding. I can do 99% of the already by using different programs... I'll give Video Splitter 3 a try.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]don't talk shit on VDub! Was the author born yesterday, or just a Mac user?[/citation]

Extremely love virtualdub, using it when doing VHS lossless cleanup/upscaling. Wish somebody to give it nice multi threading support.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]animeman59[/nom]Anybody know any good programs to extract Bluray files for conversion? I heard AnyDVD HD is a good one. Any recommendations?[/citation]

AnyDVD HD will let you copy and use the files on your computer. You can use mkvmerge to convert the movie files to MKV :) For chapters stuff, you need to do some research..

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
it's the format used on DVDs and Blu-Ray discs.
Nope. Maybe for DVD and Blu-Ray RIPS, but not on the discs themselves..
DVDs use VOB (based on the MPEG-2 Program Stream) and Blu-Rays use BDAV (.m2ts, based on the MPEG-2 Transport Stream)

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
MKV is a container, not a codec, nor any specific stream or group of streams. That was the whole point of MKV.

Creating and editing a container is simple: MKV Merge (mmg.exe)

I am guessing this article is 10% finished. But include: 1) difference between container and codec 2) true objective of this article 3) target audience i.e. born today vs. 10-20 years working with videos files. codecs, and mkvs [all different yet related] 4) all programs can easier be free, no need for paid progs 5) CCCP is unnecessary for this purpose. Thus it's inclusion is ... maybe ... political and offensive...

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Nope. Maybe for DVD and Blu-Ray RIPS, but not on the discs themselves..DVDs use VOB (based on the MPEG-2 Program Stream) and Blu-Rays use BDAV (.m2ts, based on the MPEG-2 Transport Stream)[/citation]

Thanks!

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
This article should be reworded slightly. The point it was trying to make is if you want to use these plethora of payware video editing software packages that has limited support for MKV, then install CCCP and viola they work.

However, what people should be doing is, extracting the contents of the MKV container, and using all those tried and true tested editors that everyone already knows how to use, do the edits, then create a new MKV.

Here is a better list of tools
1. mkvextractgui-2 (extract those video clips to .h264 .mpg .avi, audio to .aac, .mp3 .ac3)
2. FFMSIndex, DGIndex, DGAVCIndex (Frame Accurate decoders for avisynth)
3. avisynth (frame serve those video clips, crop, resize, cut, splice, filter, countless plugins)
4. Lagarith codec (lossless video compression for working files)
5. Virtualdub (Create working files for Editors, or use it to do all your edits not done in avisynth)
6. AviDemux (like Virtualdub, with perty buttons, Comes with extra tools non video related)
7. Adobe Premiere,Sony Vagas,Pinnacle Studio,Lightworks,VideoLAN Movie Creator (Editors)
8. Subtitle Editor, Aegisub, BDSup2Sub (Subtitles)
9. Handbreak, MeGUI, AVStoDVD (use Editors videos, creates your MKV, MP4, DVD, BD)

Handbreak, MeGUI can do some basic edits, like combine, cuts, and the sort, but this article was trying to talk about tools to do effects, transitions, annotations that Editors will do. If you need basic stuff, then there are plenty of FREE tools that will get the job done that I might not have listed

MKV vs MP4, MP4 supports 1 video, many audio, text based subtitles, simple chapters, MKV supports many video, many audio, fancy and text based subs, fonts for those fancy subs, warp point chapters(load external file play it, then continue playing current clip, useful for episodic shows with same opening sequence) and anything else you can throw at it.

~Majorlag

Status
Not open for further replies.