$100 Blu-ray Disc Player Appears For Sale Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbitron

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I don't think It will stop people for buying DVD's yet. Because bluray movies are still too expensive compare to DVD's. Average bluray disc is still about $27.99 and DVD's are $17.99.

buzznut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2007
Looks like Bluray will be one of the big sellers this coming Holiday season. I might be tempted, my stepdaughter keeps leaving the PS3 controllers down for the dog to chew up! ARRRGH!

At least I can buy a universal remote for ten bucks.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I think i would rather wait and get a PS3 if they drop in price. Play sweet overly expensive games and watch sweet overly expensive movies too! yay!

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Its too bad HD-DVD prices were there almost 18 months ago (before the forfeit). I'm not bitter just don't believe in overpaying for something. With any luck I might actually buy one this holiday season.

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Silly that everyone focuses on the player prices. I have a PS3, which I bought mostly for blu-ray. Yet I own 2 blu-ray titles: Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Band of Brothers. Why only that? Because they're way too expensive; Netflix is where I view my blu-rays. Drop the prices of discs, and Blu Ray WILL catch on...but if they remain almost $30, it doesn't matter how cheap the "players" get.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
Yep - for $30, you could just take your family to the theater, watch the movie on a 40ft screen, and have some popcorn.

Having everything in your house just makes you a hermit. Go outside. Socialize.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]smlong[/nom]Yep - for $30, you could just take your family to the theater, watch the movie on a 40ft screen, and have some popcorn.[/citation]
Except the quality of the image on that 40ft screen is craptacular, and I'd have to pay $30 again to watch the movie more than once.

This marks an important milestone in the price of players, but until you can no longer buy 3 disks for the price of a player Blu-Ray just won't become mainstream.

orbitron

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]$17.99 for a DVD? Where the hell are you buying those at? I'll have 4 DVD's shipped to my door for $18.[/citation]

I mean if you buy it in retail like Wal-Mart or Target of course.

G

$27.99 for a Blu-Ray disc? Add few dollars onto that and you can buy no-frills DVD player. So it figures $100 is $50 too expensive for a player.

blackbyron

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I'm predicting that one of a blu-ray players can be even cheaper when the next Black-Friday's arrived. But I don't know if thats gonna help the consumers.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have used my Blue Ray Player one time, rented a movie and was not that impressed since my PS3 upscales any regular DVD to 1080P anyway.
The last time I burned a DVD on my computer was to image Debain 5 that is 4.3Gb. As far as using a Blue Ray for a backup medium I have to say this. Newegg just had 1Tb hard drive on sale for about $70 with the promo code, put that with a external enclosure and you have yourself allot of reusable backup space for about $100.
I think movies are over rated anyway and do not collect them, even a good movie is old after watching it a couple times and I don't want to see it again.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Except the quality of the image on that 40ft screen is craptacular, and I'd have to pay $30 again to watch the movie more than once.This marks an important milestone in the price of players, but until you can no longer buy 3 disks for the price of a player Blu-Ray just won't become mainstream.[/citation]
How often do you watch a movie more than once? Other than kids movies, I find that we rarely, if ever, watch a movie more than once. 99% of movies do not have good replay value.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]At this point I couldn't even afford to pirate and burn blu-ray movies. So I certainly have no intentions on switching.[/citation]
Convert them to 1080P AVCHD with AC3 (448kbps) and burn to DVDR. Problem solved.

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]smlong[/nom]How often do you watch a movie more than once? Other than kids movies, I find that we rarely, if ever, watch a movie more than once. 99% of movies do not have good replay value.[/citation]
I watch movies a few times but usually with a significant time in between in which to forget alot of it. Besides, if the movie is probably not much good (and often even if it is good) I'd rather spend $4 hiring it on DVD and $2 on popcorn than $30 at the cinemas.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
A $100.00 player sounds good but the thing won't last. I have the Samsung BD-UP5000 plays both formats Blu-ray & HDDVD, all the output options of video & audio. A sweet player i had for about 1 yr 3mo but it cost $599.00. With 2 firmware updates it has never failed to play any disc of either format load times are good to great have at least 300 hrs on it so far. My Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player has 12 yrs of very high use and made in Japan, never a problem it was on sale for 699.00 back then MSRP was a grand. Funny i thought Curtis Mathes was long gone i bought a CM branded NEC tv from them 18 yrs ago along with a CM branded Panasonic HI-FI dockable portable VHS recorder, they closed their doors around 2 yrs later. Goodfella's & The Godfather are very worthy repeats at least for me.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
point one: i am not nor will i ever pay the price they want for these blu-rays over the price of dvd

point two: as this article states you all can just look at the piece of krap you get by spending a full $100 compared to the decent $100 DVD player you can buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.