100mb W - 45mb WL

klayton88

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
Hi folks,

Received a new laptop today and also had internet upgraded last week to 'up to 100mb' package....

When wired I am receiving very close to the 100mb but when wireless I am receiving 'just' 45mb.

My network card is Atheros AR9485WB-EG with 10.0.0.279 driver dated 06/01/14.

Now a simple Google search suggested this was a pretty awful network adapter in terms of support and just to update the driver took many Google searches as the 'search automatically' function offered by windows said it was up to date - which it clearly wasn't.

I was hoping to try to change from 2.4 to 5.0ghz but i read my network adapter does not support it, so my question is this...

What options to I have to be receiving better speeds closer to the 100mb on a wireless connection? I don't much fancy opening my laptop up and changing the network adapter so is there maybe a USB out there that will do the trick? Im pretty sure my network adapter does not receive speeds above 72.2 as that's what it says on my WIFI status.

PS - I also can not connect to the superhub via 192.168.0.1. I have no problems doing this on my own laptop.

Running Google Chrome on Sony SVE1513H1EW 64bit Windows 8.1 with Intel i3-3120m @ 2.50 GHz

Thank you in advance

Adam

Solution
WiFi is very environmentally dependent. Distance, building construction, other devices, neighbors....all factor in. It is rare that you'll get the same speed as a wired connection. Even if it is right next to the router.

Plus, 802.11n can only go above 72 megabits per second if there are multiple antennas utilized. If yours is reporting 72, then there is only one in the laptop.

USAFRet

Illustrious
WiFi is very environmentally dependent. Distance, building construction, other devices, neighbors....all factor in. It is rare that you'll get the same speed as a wired connection. Even if it is right next to the router.

Plus, 802.11n can only go above 72 megabits per second if there are multiple antennas utilized. If yours is reporting 72, then there is only one in the laptop.

Solution

Very true and well put. You also don't usually see advertised speeds during practical application as they are deemed "theoretical maximum" speeds. You're likely to see them more within your own network, but seldom in everyday internet use.

An USB adapter can yield better performance, but then it's going through the USB bus, whereas the internal card is transferring data via the PCI bus (which is faster than USB). There's a give and take to either route.

klayton88

Estimable
Apr 2, 2014
So which card would work for me to replace my atheros network adapter with? is it possible to link me to a few options as im not really clued up when it comes to hardware.

I also read that some manufacturers do something to the bios to stop you using other hardware, is this true? and how would i find it if my Sony did this.

In advance,

Thanks

I wouldn't put it past Sony to blacklist hardware per system firmware. Your easiest bet is to go with an external USB receiver. The mini PCI-e card that goes inside the system will warrant you needing to open up the case and possibly install a card that Sony has snubbed.

Recommended brands for external USBs: Linksys or D-Link. Belkin is okay, but tends to be cheaper in every sense of the word.

TRENDING THREADS