120hz Screen Replacement Q

wkduffy

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi Toms: I just gave away (to a friend) my "gracefully aging" Toshiba Qosmio X775 3D gaming laptop which I had great fun with for years. I replaced it with a Cyberpower PC laptop "special" (basically a rebranded MSI) with these specs:

FANGBOOK 4 SK-X17
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6820HK 2.70GHz Turbo 3.6GHz 8MB Cache Processor (Unlocked)
HD_M2SATA: 256GB SanDisk X400 M.2 SATA III 6Gb/s SSD
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx1) DDR4/2133MHz SODIMM Memory [-50] (Corsair or Major Brand)
DISPLAY: 17.3" FHD IPS (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 8GB PCIe [VRReady]

My question: I just got this in the mail two days ago and have barely even powered it on. But I can already tell, I am going to yearn to be able to play stereoscopic 3D on it like the Qosmio. (Please no lectures about 3D being dead--I know that and also I don't care.) So before I pry this new laptop apart, what are the chances I'd be able to replace the 1080p 75hz (max) G-Sync screen that is in it with a 120hz screen? Can that sort of thing be done? The old Qosmio had a built-in 3D emitter, but I have a standalone USB nVidia emitter and glasses still, so I am assuming any 1080p screen that will do a 120hz refresh rate will allow for the 3D vision to work. Yes? Is it an issue of power? What should I be concerned about or looking for? Before I pull this very new laptop apart, can anyone give me any advice as to whether such a replacement is even possible? I don't know the make of the Fangbook screen yet since I've not pulled it off...but just looking for some rough advice whether I should bother?

Solution
i wouldnt have gone with cyber power pc, as they have a lot of build quality issues, and you probably wont be able to replace the screen with what you want. I would have kept the old laptop if 3D really mattered to you.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
i wouldnt have gone with cyber power pc, as they have a lot of build quality issues, and you probably wont be able to replace the screen with what you want. I would have kept the old laptop if 3D really mattered to you.

Solution

wkduffy

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Well, I was aware of and weighed the good and bad about Cyberpower and took a calculated risk; here's hoping it works out. It appears to just be a rebranded (more like un-branded, since there is literally no logo on it anywhere) MSI GT Series, (same components anyway [i7 6820HK unlocked, GTX980], just without a fancy dragon, and at about $600 less). Came with a bunch of cruddy freebies...and pretty poor customer service (I can already tell). But the Qosmio was getting to the point where it couldn't play many things anymore; actually the GeForce 560m was still pretty good and overclockable, but the i7 2670QM (2.2ghz) was becoming a bottleneck. Just looking for feedback before pulling the Fangbook apart...or if it would be a waste of time for me to do so at all.