Solved! 1440p and 75hz external monitor on a 1080p and 60hz laptop. Would it work adequately?

Jun 12, 2020
Hi there!
I've been looking for a new external monitor to connect to my laptop, and try to improve my experience from the specs of the laptop's screen (1080p, 60 Hz). The laptop I'm using is a MSI P65 8RE, whose main specs are: GPU GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, RAM 16GB DDR4-2666, CPU i7-8750H + HM370 (9M Cache, up to 4.10 GHz). And the display connectors are an HDMI called (4K @ 30Hz) HDMI" (so I guess It is a 1.3/1.4 Gen),and a Mini Display Port, whose generation I couldn't find.
So, when I was researching about the connection possibilities of my laptop, I could only find some more unsolved questions:
  • If my default screen has a refresh rate of 60Hz, does it limit the refresh rate that an external monitor can get?
  • Would my graphic card stand the requirements of a refresh rate higher than 60hz? For example, 144Hz.
  • Would my graphic card stand the requirements for a better resolution than 1080p? For example: 1440p.
  • Would it stand both requirements together? And should I use the HDMI or the Mini Displayport to connect it?
I'm not looking for a great gaming behaviour, since I only play a couple hours a week to games like Rocket League, or Sea of thieves. What I really need is a very good visualization in my modelization and rendering processes in Autocad and 3ds Max, as well as good experience in some Photoshop tasks.
Given all these questions, I saw an interesting screen, which looks quite good, but might be too big:
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32qk500-c-led-monitor
It is basically a 32", 1440p display with a 75hz.

So, my main question is: would this screen work on its full capability on my laptop? And would my laptop be able to stand It?

Thanks for your attention, and sorry if my questions were too dumb, i have no knowledge in this field...

Solution
The screen in the laptop does not matter at all with what external screen you can use. The card specs can run a higher refresh rate for raw speed, use display port output, it should run 1440 at 75hz. You won't be playing at high settings with good frame rates on that video card in a laptop but will be good enough for medium on most games.
The screen in the laptop does not matter at all with what external screen you can use. The card specs can run a higher refresh rate for raw speed, use display port output, it should run 1440 at 75hz. You won't be playing at high settings with good frame rates on that video card in a laptop but will be good enough for medium on most games.

Reactions: rhyalus
Solution