16 bit software on Windows 7

zarusann

Estimable
May 7, 2015
I love Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit (the original '98 release, not the recent one), because I used to play it all the time when I was young.

Recently, I was able to get my hands on an ISO rip off the actual game disk, and burned it onto a writable CD.

Unfortunately, the game is so old it uses 16 bit installation software, which is apparently no way compatible with my current Windows 7 64 bit OS.

Is there anyway I can work around this? I know that I could use emulation thru VMware or DOSbox, but I am not sure about the details or what those entail. Any suggestions are appreciate, I love this game :p

Solution
Option 1: Install 32-bit OS (Windows XP, Windows 98) as virtual machine (VirtualBox, VirtualPC, VmWare). Check what DirectX your game is using before deciding on VM Host.
Option 2: Install 32-bit OS as a dual-boot. Make sure you can find 32-bit drivers for your hardware.

In both cases you will need another Windowds license.
Option 1: Install 32-bit OS (Windows XP, Windows 98) as virtual machine (VirtualBox, VirtualPC, VmWare). Check what DirectX your game is using before deciding on VM Host.
Option 2: Install 32-bit OS as a dual-boot. Make sure you can find 32-bit drivers for your hardware.

In both cases you will need another Windowds license.

Solution

zarusann

Estimable
May 7, 2015
hi alabalcho! thanks so much

option one sounds better to me b/c of the hassle involved with dualbooting

I do have an available windows XP license, so that works out

after checking, it says DirectX 5 or higher is required. why does affect choice of VM host? also, upon installing xp on virtual machine, would i need additional files apart from the installation disk of the game?