19.5 amps or 20?

T1ll13T1ll13

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
My US HP laptop sys it operates at 19.5 volts. A borrowed Voltage reducer is set at 19.5 amps but the laptop is draining, not recharging. Should I set it to 20 amps? Battery is about to die. HELLP!

Solution
Please organize your information... I got lost in your question.

If it operates at 19.5 volts (which is normal for consumer laptops), then it needs 19.5 volts. Note that amps and volts are very different from each other. Please note that using the wrong charger could severely damage the laptop.

Please read the label on your original charger and the borrowed charger. They should both operate at 19.5 volts. They may have different amperage outputs though...

You can multiply voltage by amperage to get wattage. If the charger you borrowed does not have a wattage that's at least as high as the original one for that laptop, then the problem is that the borrowed charger is not powerful enough to charge the laptop.

Example: Original charger...

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
Please organize your information... I got lost in your question.

If it operates at 19.5 volts (which is normal for consumer laptops), then it needs 19.5 volts. Note that amps and volts are very different from each other. Please note that using the wrong charger could severely damage the laptop.

Please read the label on your original charger and the borrowed charger. They should both operate at 19.5 volts. They may have different amperage outputs though...

You can multiply voltage by amperage to get wattage. If the charger you borrowed does not have a wattage that's at least as high as the original one for that laptop, then the problem is that the borrowed charger is not powerful enough to charge the laptop.

Example: Original charger is 19.5V, 5.0A. That's 97.5 watts. This would mean that the laptop needs just over 90 watts. Let's say that the charger you borrowed is 19.5V, 4.0A. That's 78 watts. That's not enough power to charge the laptop.

Solution