$1K down the drain; Laptop Shell Replacement?

piste

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
So after much whining from her I bought my wife a Lenovo Yoga 3 14" in September for $999. Core i5; 256GB SSD; 8GB memory. I had it all set up and ready to go but she just let it sit around the living room floor....until I went to use it a few weeks ago and found that in some "magical" way it took a SERIOUS blow to the case that no one knows anything about and the screen is cracked. It seems to boot up fine and mostly work...aside from some cracked glass...and the touchscreen is sort of psychotic (any way to disable the touch feature?). Bought it from Best Buy and shipped off to Lenovo but accidents not covered under warranty and no I do not have any coverage beyond the basic warranty. They called today with a quote of $704 to replace the screen..on this $1,000 machine.

While that is not a great proposition...my options as I see them are:

1) spend the $704 to get this machine fixed
2) spend about $800 for a Dell or Lenovo equivalent new laptop as prices have come down....and do what? with the spare parts from the cracked screen machine? Do many new laptops have room to port over a second hard drive and memory sticks?
3) anyone know a way to get an empty laptop shell to port all the hardware to?; I DID search on this possibility and seems like I am SOL with that.
4) get divorced

Any advice or guidance would be welcome.
I suppose option 4 could be combined with any of the other three options....

Thx.