2,500,000 PlayStation Moves Sold Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]What's up with the big colorful bulb thing at the top of them?[/citation]
Its a point for the camera to focus on. This devices is pretty much a scaled down Motion capture studio. It uses the 3D eye tool in order to judge position, and it uses the light bulbs to say, HEY HERE I AM.
This has one glaring issue. In motion capture you usually have the suit of light bulbs and multiple camera's. What happens when you twirl the wand and its obstructed by a table or your body?
The bonus is it will definetly perform accurate movement. It also significantly simplifies the animators job. Its capable of judging velocity while at the same time provide accurate aiming information for shooters.

G

These are just controller shipments to retailers and we don't even know if they're also including Move navigation controllers. A person could buy 6 Move controllers for their PS3. Sony's press release would be the equivalent of Nintendo telling the media how many Wii controllers they've shipped instead of how many Wii consoles they've sold.

"it seems Microsoft will have its work cut out when it comes to selling Kinect for Xbox 360"

Kinect uses no controllers so you can't compare Move controller sales to Kinect sales. If you want to compare anything it would be PS Eye or Move starter kit sales vs. Kinect sensor sales.

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I have wanted something like this for a long time-
the graphic power of a PS3 and motion controller like WII..
but I am on hold now and waiting for reviews.

th3nerve

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The colored bulb is there so that you would know which Move controller is yours. Other than that it serves no purpose.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Its a point for the camera to focus on. This devices is pretty much a scaled down Motion capture studio. It uses the 3D eye tool in order to judge position, and it uses the light bulbs to say, HEY HERE I AM.This has one glaring issue. In motion capture you usually have the suit of light bulbs and multiple camera's. What happens when you twirl the wand and its obstructed by a table or your body?The bonus is it will definetly perform accurate movement. It also significantly simplifies the animators job. Its capable of judging velocity while at the same time provide accurate aiming information for shooters.[/citation]

now if im right, its a bit more than just that.
yea it has motion capture, that makes it more accurate than the wii more already, you can have the controller pointed in almost ANY possion and not have it interfear with how it works, unlike the wii more which if its not pointed at that bar things it guesses.

than add into it the other motion capturing hardware, forget all the names but it knows how its moved.

its less complex than a motion capture studio, but also in some ways more sophisticated too. as in with just 1 ball and even if you had 8 cameras on that ball, you wouldn't get the the same results as the move can.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]MarcusP[/nom]These are just controller shipments to retailers and we don't even know if they're also including Move navigation controllers. A person could buy 6 Move controllers for their PS3. Sony's press release would be the equivalent of Nintendo telling the media how many Wii controllers they've shipped instead of how many Wii consoles they've sold."it seems Microsoft will have its work cut out when it comes to selling Kinect for Xbox 360"Kinect uses no controllers so you can't compare Move controller sales to Kinect sales. If you want to compare anything it would be PS Eye or Move starter kit sales vs. Kinect sensor sales.[/citation]

but that wouldn't take into account all those with the eye toy already and just needed the controller.

the move itself as a platform is all in the controller, unlike the wii which is the system, or the move with is the camera.

most games need only 1 ball controller, some benefit from 2. so lets assume that 75% only use one or bought 2 for 2 people, and 25% bought 2 for one person.

that would be 1875000 people using move, and 312500 that bought 2 for themselves.

like i said, the controller itself is the platform not the system or the camera.

G

If you are going to consider each individual Move controller a platform sale then don't compare it to the Kinect sensor like this article does. Microsoft is not trying to sell 6 Kinect sensors to every Xbox 360 owner. Comparing Move controller sales to camera sales is comparing apples to oranges.

The only thing that is comparable to the Move controller sales are Wii controller sales.

gamebwoy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
O3Di will be able to include and overtake the capabilities of both Sony's Move and XBox Kinect when it comes out for PC/Mac/Linux.

kaosnkorruption

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]2.5 Million people thought the light bulb looked cool.[/citation]

Is reading comprehension really that hard these days? There is a very very large difference between units shipped and units sold.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Well.. I bought Move on day one. And all i have to say is that all it does is look like a sex toy since there is no games supporting it worth the time.. Best case is Sports Champions which is sad really. The responce isnt 1:1. Lag is there and gotta deal with it. Just doesnt feel that laggy which is the only good thing. But even when going through selection menus you see the lag is too obvious.

Wish there will be games worth for it pretty soon cause ill be mad :S

But yeah Im also buying Kinect. I paid almost as much for the Move+Sub controller and thats without even a game included... Why not huh. -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.