Solved! 2 Acer Aspire E5 573G laptops not turning on

Ravenclaw90291

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I bought 2 Acer Aspire E5 573G laptops for my coding kids. One used her laptop pretty regularly, the other hardly ever used it, preferring to just code on the computer in class. About 2 months after the 1 year warranty ran out, the one computer that was used regularly would not turn on anymore. I tried to turn on the one that was hardly ever used and that one is also not turning on! I called Acer and they suggested a power reset which I have tried several times on both, and still neither machine will turn on.

My only option is to send it in for repair with Acer at the cost of $279.99 plus shipping. My Amex has an extended warranty, but they won't commit to paying for the repair until they know what is wrong with the computers. The laptops were each under $500 to start. I have done some research online and there are others who have the same issue with this same or similar Acer laptop model. Is it worth it for me to repair this, pay the money (more than 1/2 the original computer cost) and hope that the Amex warranty will pay for the repair, or should I just send these to the electronic waste place...? Last I spoke with Acer, they said it could be the battery, the hard drive, or even the motherboard. Really frustrating.

Solution
i suggest you check basic things like AC adapter, battery, etc and if you dont mind, you could bring your laptop to 3rd party repair, as they cost cheaper and usually the components still the same

Samaratin

Estimable
Apr 1, 2015
Spending half the cost of the devices on repair is not very cost effective, more so when there's no guarentee you'll be reimbursed. I would probably file a complaint with consumer protection, especially if there are others that had same issue. Did you try turning it on with the battery removed, but power supply still connected?

Ravenclaw90291

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Thanks for your reply, Samaratin. The computers have an internal battery. I did take it to a 3rd party place that did free estimates and they told me the AC adapter was the problem and also one of the computers has a faulty screen. Either way, it's still a bummer that I need to take at least one of them back to Acer.

nvincent_08

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
i suggest you check basic things like AC adapter, battery, etc and if you dont mind, you could bring your laptop to 3rd party repair, as they cost cheaper and usually the components still the same

Solution