2 different download speeds on 2 laptops but same upload speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prolyphix74

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
So we have 2 different laptops. Mine is a year old and hers is 4 years old. we both ran a speed test about 8 feet from the router/modem. Our upload was the same 12mbps. But my download speed was 60 mbps and hers was only 20 mbps. I run Windows 8.1 on mine and she is running windows 7. Why is our download speeds not more similar?

Solution
Could be the network cards you have. You should have a wireless N, she probably has a wireless G. You would have a maximum transfer rate of 150 or 300 Mbps. Her wireless G card maxes out at 54Mbps. The Windows task manager can show you the link rate of your wireless connection. Your router may also be able to show the same information.

kanewolf

Judicious
Could be the network cards you have. You should have a wireless N, she probably has a wireless G. You would have a maximum transfer rate of 150 or 300 Mbps. Her wireless G card maxes out at 54Mbps. The Windows task manager can show you the link rate of your wireless connection. Your router may also be able to show the same information.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.