2 GHz Motorola Android Phone May Arrive in Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
It will probably be some sort of mobile P IV ... all the GHz you want but grabage in terms of processing power.
You just can't go from 1 GHz to 2 GHz like that in my opinion. Given a new architecture though you could do it though it remains to be seen how power efficient it will be and if those 2 GHz really translate into CPU power or it will be just for show off.

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I really think that consumers and power users would benefit from a dual core 600-1000 mhz processor. It would help cut down on the heat, and would make multitasking more seamless.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Evolution of the Snapdragon? Moto doesn't use Qualcomm processors. They use TI. Its probably a 45nm dual core TI A9 chip.... OMAP4 platform. Tegra2 is a whole different platform, Nvidia's also using a custom A9 chip for it, but the GPU is significantly faster...

Nowhere in the article you referenced did I see anything mentioning Tegra2. Its probably OMAP4... but if that's the case, its going to blow what we are seeing right now in smartphones out of the water anyway. 5x better graphics than what's in the iPhone4, with a processor that's about 4x as fast.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Oh, and heat and battery life would both be improved compared to the single core 65nm processors in most "current" smartphones.

dzban

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2007
No i will be something from Global Foundries at 28nm like dual core A9 plus some decent graphic chip.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
"This date would also give Motorola enough time to take notes from Apple's current mobile phone and incorporate features that will raise the ante until the next iPhone revision."

I forgot to comment on this idiocy. The iPhone4 has no new ideas. It just has a good screen... the rest of the specs are standard nowadays, except for the front facing camera, and dual glass panels... which are questionable design decisions at best. The Galaxy S' Super AMOLED screen is probably going to prove to be superior to Apple's "retina display" anyway.

What would they be taking notes on? I'm starting to get the idea that you know absolutely nothing about mobile phones, Kevin. How you're payed to write about news regarding them, is a mystery.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
***Giving a reason to why the AMOLED screen is superior, before someone comments on pixel density... Yes, the iPhone4's IPS LCD technology provides a tiny bit more clear picture than the AMOLED screen Samsung is using, but at the cost of much more power consumption.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]dzban[/nom]No i will be something from Global Foundries at 28nm like dual core A9 plus some decent graphic chip.[/citation]

More likely a 45nm OMAP4 platform Cortex-A9. They've been planning to mass manufacture dual core A9s for a looong time now. That was always the roadmap. The 28nm stuff is going to be more impressive than this... Quad cores, probably, I haven't looked that far ahead.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Lets not confuse anybody here, it's not 2Ghz, but a 1Ghz dual core. Besides marketing it will only be different than the 1Ghz Snapdragon depending on the apps that make use of it. With the PC it took years before dual cores were being made of any true use and I can think of maybe a few things on a phone that would make complete use of dual cores at this moment.

Most important thing to consider is the battery life and how big of an impact these future multiple core phones are going to have on battery technology. I assume they will have technology in place similar to AMD/Intel that down clocks each core by 50% or so for regular usage and clicks on at full power when apps demand it.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Thinking about this... the clockspeed mentioned does seem fishy. OMAP4440, and OMAP44430 are going to be at about 1GHz... but... Osprey based A9s will run at about 2GHz. Moto couldn't have something with a 40nm Osprey in the works to release at Christmas, could they?

This has to be.... I was wrong about OMAP4. If its 2GHz.. this is Osprey. Would be manufactured on TSMC's 40nm process... but, who's designed the chip? I don't think TI has one of these, Qualcomm's doing their dual core Snapdragon's at 1.2-1.5GHz... Samsung designed maybe? This is out of left field.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Very interesting news indeed, but..Hello? Battery life? Cost? Heat? SIZE? Looks? Before anyone decides to try and make yet another phone to try and kill the iPhone (which other phones have in certain areas), let's see the actual product.

Intriguing news indeed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.