Question 2 identical SD cards, one will read in camera, the other won't

Jul 2, 2022
Hi everyone, I have a real head scratcher: I bought 2 identical SD cards, 1 for my camera, one for my partner's camera. Partner's camera is an older EOS 50D. We've been using her card (in a CF adapter) without any issues. Yesterday I tried using the other card from my camera in hers but it would not read it. Said it needed formatting but failed at formatting. Upon inspection in a PC my card was formatted as exFAT and hers was FAT32. I reformatted my card as FAT32 with windows formatting software (windows itself only listed exFAT and NTFS as options) but it still wouldn't read in her camera. Reads fine in windows. Tried different sector sizes, even tried FAT (16), no joy. Tried cloning the working card onto the non-working one, same result. I can put the non-working card in my camera and apart from the fact that it wants to reformat it (to exFAT) it works fine. I don't get it; a cloned drive should be indistinguishable from the original, shouldn't it? Any tips to get the card working in her camera? Cards are 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC cards. See picture at https://photos.app.goo.gl/tv1zSdGFLgCuRHEZ9

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Digital Cameras 4
B Digital Cameras 4
L Digital Cameras 1
T Digital Cameras 5
T Digital Cameras 1
S Digital Cameras 3
Y Digital Cameras 10
T Digital Cameras 1
O Digital Cameras 1
J Digital Cameras 2