2 laptops with varied specs : which do i get?

DrHouse98

Prominent
May 12, 2017
I need advice on which laptop to get

https://www.compuindia.com/laptops-ultrabooks/new-inspiron-15-7000-i7-7560781tb4g1.html?
https://www.compuindia.com/laptops-ultrabooks/new-inspiron-15-5000-i7-55677162tb4b1.html?

I have shortlisted both of these.
My usage consists of 30 chrome tabs, music/movies in the background on vlc and other microsoft apps like word and excel too, all at the same time.
Minimal to no gaming..
Please advise.

Solution

Iam gonna be in med school boarding with no tvs or larger displays..
So to watch 1080p torrented movies and view medical slides i need a crisp screen.

Could you maybe just compare specs and tell me some more?
Like one has radeon and the other a 940mx .. what difference for graphic intensive work(...

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Go with neither of those models. Nearly 2 thousand US dollars for a laptop just to browse the web with and play videos and songs in the background? For 2 Grand you could buy a killer laptop that would put NASA to shame.

Go with this instead

https://us-store.acer.com/laptops/aspire-e/aspire-es-15-laptop-es1-572-357c

350USD or 22460.78 RS is far better for you. It skimps on performance with a Dual Core processor, but will do just about anything you tell it to within the bounds of what you asked for in your post. See if you can upgrade the ram though for those 30 chrome tabs and upgrade the hard drive to a 1TB version for your songs and saved videos. It will last you far, far longer than you expect. As an Acer user myself rocking a 3 year old amd quad core model of that laptop, you will be very pleasantly surprised how far you can push it.

DrHouse98

Prominent
May 12, 2017

My picks are more in the range of 1300 usd, not 2000.
I tend to use my laptops for more than 5 years as my dell inspiron 1525 is still working and i bought it eons ago.(i think 2010)
Just need something great which will last me 6 yrs..
Dell, lenovo and hp has good service in india and i need a fhd led panel to watch my 1tb movie collection.

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
So we don't end up quoting the entire conversation here I didn't include the quotes.

My picks are more in the range of 1300 usd, not 2000.
I tend to use my laptops for more than 5 years as my dell inspiron 1525 is still working and i bought it eons ago.(i think 2010)
Just need something great which will last me 6 yrs..
Dell, lenovo and hp has good service in india and i need a fhd led panel to watch my 1tb movie collection.

This laptop will last your browsing and playback needs for probably that long and you will be spending about 3 times as less in money. The screen shouldn't matter too much for you unless you're really into watching things with the utmost clarity. In which case get a decent tv with an HDMI or DP cable and watch things from there. Set up either a mirror or extended view. The latter of which will afford you to do whatever else you want.

DrHouse98

Prominent
May 12, 2017
This laptop will last your browsing and playback needs for probably that long and you will be spending about 3 times as less in money. The screen shouldn't matter too much for you unless you're really into watching things with the utmost clarity. In which case get a decent tv with an HDMI or DP cable and watch things from there. Set up either a mirror or extended view. The latter of which will afford you to do whatever else you want.[/quotemsg]

So to watch 1080p torrented movies and view medical slides i need a crisp screen.

Like one has radeon and the other a 940mx .. what difference for graphic intensive work( iam thinking of honing my photoshop skills) and is the hybrid drive ( 1tb plus 128gb sdd )worth it over a 2 tb 5400rpm hdd.. considering i store a lot of stuff locally. Is the speed improvement that noticable and should i get an external hdd or just stick with the larger 2tb one?

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
If you're trying to get into content creation like graphics you're going to need an actual desktop worth about two or three grand for it to do what you want it to do. Graphics intensive work isn't so much the GPU and screen as it is the CPU and RAM. If you have a great gpu and screen but a shoddy cpu and so-so ram, you'll never get anything accomplished. I can try to put together a pcpartpicker list for you based on your needs though.

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Like one has radeon and the other a 940mx .. what difference for graphic intensive work( iam thinking of honing my photoshop skills) and is the hybrid drive ( 1tb plus 128gb sdd )worth it over a 2 tb 5400rpm hdd.. considering i store a lot of stuff locally. Is the speed improvement that noticable and should i get an external hdd or just stick with the larger 2tb one?
[/quotemsg]

Well it's only about 200 dollars more than the laptop you pointed out, and while it doesn't come with all the software and such, I did not know your preference for peripherals or software; which I figured you'd want control of anyway.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Krayven/saved/#view=ytNmGX

Solution

Toxikaraidur

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016

Alternatively, given your budget, needs, and future wants, there's this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178JBBMG/ref=asc_df_B0178JBBMG4983799?tag=hawk-future-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B0178JBBMG&linkCode=asn&ascsubtag=trd-1045269771-20