Solved! 2 stereos at once

Sep 27, 2020
Can one source, like a CD, be sent to two amps having separate sets of speakers. One system driving a set of speakers that are very detailed, the other amp & speaker set are larger and full frequency for bigger presence like a live concert. Both driven by same source.

Solution
It's normal to need to turn the volume up when you use a turntable. Better phono preamps do have gain controls to be able to fine tune the output.
Cartridges don't lose output and would only be broken in at 100 hrs. Generally the stylus will show wear after 2000 hours.

Running two pairs of different speakers (different impedances, efficiencies, and sound) with different (different power outputs, sensitivities, a
Sep 27, 2020
yes, with a splitter or mixer or receiver,...
Such as an integrated amp receiving content signal CD or Phono, then the speakers from the integrated go to one set speakers. The pre amp line out signal going to the 2nd. amp. That second amp feeds 2nd. set speakers.
The amped outputs will be close enough in process time that the sound will be in sync? The one pair offering its sweet spot and the other system offering its sweet spot and spectrum of sound...is my guess..

Hooking it up the way you want to will allow you to control the total volume from the main amp but set the relative volume of system 2 from the second amp.
You do have to be careful not to overload the input of amp 2. That will cause distortion in system 2 regardless of how loud system 2 volume is set.
No delay issues since there is no "processing" just amplification.
It is very very rare that running two systems will combine just the way you want them to.
You could disconnect the woofer of one system and the upper range speakers of the other system.
The systems will interfere with each other as well so the position of the speakers relative to the room and each other will be very important to the result.
Have fun but don't expect speakers that are not meant to work together to do that.

Reactions: gregchick
Sep 27, 2020
Hooking it up the way you want to will allow you to control the total volume from the main amp but set the relative volume of system 2 from the second amp.
You do have to be careful not to overload the input of amp 2. That will cause distortion in system 2 regardless of how loud system 2 volume is set.
No delay issues since there is no "processing" just amplification.
It is very very rare that running two systems will combine just the way you want them to.
You could disconnect the woofer of one system and the upper range speakers of the other system.
The systems will interfere with each other as well so the position of the speakers relative to the room and each other will be very important to the result.
Have fun but don't expect speakers that are not meant to work together to do that.
Thanks for the reply, the first amp is integrated, the second is power amp only, no gain adj. it is fed with pre amp out. The two different systems are different in the sound and each do different music differently. I can power off the second amp and A/B the total out put. It seems much fuller with both, but if I use the integrated amp set alone, I turn up the volume to replace the absence of the second system. Both amps are listed class A at low settings.

As well I have found my turntable has much less gain than the CD player when I A/B test. The turntable has a built in phono amp, is that why the gain is weaker and seems much less dynamic? Is an external phono amp the answer or maybe just the cartridge? When cartridges get 100 hrs. on them do they loose gain and get mushy?

It's normal to need to turn the volume up when you use a turntable. Better phono preamps do have gain controls to be able to fine tune the output.
Cartridges don't lose output and would only be broken in at 100 hrs. Generally the stylus will show wear after 2000 hours.

Running two pairs of different speakers (different impedances, efficiencies, and sound) with different (different power outputs, sensitivities, a

Solution
Sep 27, 2020

Please continue, your reply was chopped off.