2-Year Hole In Yahoo Open to Spammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't get once you authenticate does the page go from a secure HTTPS to a regular HTTP. I think google is the only one you can put the S back in and have the page be secure again. But I could be wrong.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I closed my yahoo account back in 2002 after they started charging for POP access and never went back. At the time they said once I cancel that the user ID would never again be able to be used yet someone has taken it and has been using it I discovered recently. Since the ID was my first initial and last name and there is only one other living person who would share that first initial and last name and they are not using it (I have a very unique last name), then some spammer or other unscrupulous person has my ID and probably using it for nefarious purposes. Way to go Yahoo, kicking me is the ass after what, 7 years?

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I use Yahoo mail. Both me and my dad have had our passwords changed on us before. I wonder if this is the reason why. Maybe at some point I'll change to google mail or something, but, what can I say, I'm lazy.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It sounds like it does not have a check for how many times a user has entered in a wrong password for an account withing a set amount of time. Remember, they did mention that the spammers needed to brute force it.

G

This just in: Yahoo CEO - Carol Bartz - "Yahoo is not an e-mail provider... it's value lies in its pages..."

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Strange enough, I get less spam on yahoo (personal experience comparison). Maybe spammers were not using yahoo to attack yahoo, or just a coincidence.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Still be best way to avoid spam is to never ever ever give out your address to anybody. You know those massive forwards that people don't even bother to edit previous forwards or put the list in BCC and you or anybody (spammers included) get great edited lists of mail addresses. Basically stop using e-mail :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.