%20 Load Kills the Machine!

Servet Portakal

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Good night,

I have an old laptop like over 5 years old. You might think it is time to change it, but the core 2 duo CPU and 3 gb ram are more than enough for me. The problem I'm having nowadays, in summer, is heat. In winter It was fine, nonetheless, I don't remember it being that hot when I bought it... The fan increases to pretty noisy levels ( over 4000 rpm ) even at %20 load; pretty disturbing...

I cleaned the fan not so long ago, ( other inner parts didn't seem to have even a molecule of dust ), and just checked the air coming of it; It is pretty hot. I mean if it wasn't, I'd go ahead and renew the thermal paste. Since it is hot, there doesn't seem to be a problem with heat transfer. Moreover, the computer is always in the power saving mode. It's literally unbearable even in the balance mode, let alone the performance mode. LOL.

I cannot figure out the issue. It shouldn't be that bad... Ventilation of the room and the computer is fine. Asus originally had sealed the perforated areas on the bottom of the case ( Played lots of football games in that way, too) with some sort of thick black tape, I removed them a while ago. So, it theoretically should work cooler and quieter than it did when it was new... Any opinions, experiences and suggestions as to what might have worsen the situation over time... Or, am I just remembering it being better than it was :)

I reinstalled the OS too for any sort of software related issues.

Solution

The first link is for laptops with the screen in HD form factor (1366x768, 1400x900 screen resolution, or 16/9 format), the second is for laptops in 4/3 format (1024x768, 1280x1024).

Cristi72

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014

The first link is for laptops with the screen in HD form factor (1366x768, 1400x900 screen resolution, or 16/9 format), the second is for laptops in 4/3 format (1024x768, 1280x1024).

Solution