20 Must-Have Android Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplanetary

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Root Explorer doesn't magically grant access to root-restricted directories. Your phone still has to be rooted. It requires the same superuser access as any other root app. If you're not rooted, Root Explorer won't even run. If you are rooted, then pretty much any file manager can access root files.

Don't get me wrong, Root Explorer is a great file manager. But this whole article is idiotic.

Someguyperson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I feel that Opera Mobile should be in over Skyfire. Flash doesn't even work that well in Skyfire and if your phone is powerful enough to handle flash, then your phone is probably on 2.2 or newer anyway.

As for rooted applications, SetCPU and Clockwork Mod Recovery are a must. Launcher Pro and ADW Launcher are also must-have applications.

cashews

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
The author of this article really needs to research Task killers in android a bit more before recommending it to the readers. They are not necessary and in many cases reduces battery life and performance.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
lol@ task killer rage. Hey android dorks, how do I get the built in browser to close? It takes up 30 megs of ram and who knows how much cpu. However the programming savants at google decided it was beneath them to program in an EXIT button. Fancy that.

kvacek

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Tom's Guide better stick to the Apple cult. Maybe 3 or 4 of these apps are even good enough to load, let alone must-have, and as pointed out above, task killers just cut your battery life and waste your time. To the guy who can't figure out how to stop his browser, ummm, have you tried ? Not that you actually have to kill the browser, but if it makes you happy that'll work.

kvacek

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Sorry - the Forum cut out part of my post. To kill the browser (if you think you need to) or otherwise manage apps, press the SETTINGS button and go to MANAGE APPLICATIONS

Tyler918273

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Ansa what else do you need that ram for? If you need it, the os automatically saves its state and closes it for you. Then if you go back to it it seems like it was running the whole time. Task killers take more ram and force close apps so they dont save state. They are a terrible idea unless you are running apps for testing that may be unstable. And yea this is a pretty bad list, there are many better apps, they are just specialized and individual to the user so its hard to recommend to the public. Just be specific in your searches to what your looking for. Sent from my droid.

Status
Not open for further replies.