20 Tips and Tricks For Your iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
why? why? this is just bad. you could write how to insert the sim card or how to put it in silence... dont know how this ever got published. frankly...

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]xanxaz[/nom]why? why? this is just bad. you could write how to insert the sim card or how to put it in silence... dont know how this ever got published. frankly...[/citation]
I was wondering if this article would get this reaction. Personally, I find a few of the tips to be somewhat obvious, but I'm the editor of a tech site--I SHOULD know these things. But think about people who got an iPod Touch as a gift and don't know what to do with it, or people who realize they aren't using it as much as they could be. I honestly believe that these tips can help you think of more things to do with your Touch and make users more efficient while using it. I'm sorry you disagree, but clearly this article isn't for you. When you read this site, try to think about what interested/curious but non-expert gadget users want.

Your comment is appreciated, but I do want you to think about what you're saying. The article is not bad--it is quite good. It just isn't for you. I actually think ejecting a SIM card is not that easy--do you have any tips for the rest of us?

Rachel Rosmarin
Editor of Tom's Guide

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
I thought iPod Touches didn't have SIM cards. Oh well. I guess they are so similar to the iPhone that many (or almost all) of these tips work for both devices anyway.

eekitsericc

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I feel you Rachel. I've owned an iPod touch for a while and still am finding new things about it daily. Some more advanced users may find this unnecessary but its good stuff. : )

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]I thought iPod Touches didn't have SIM cards. Oh well. I guess they are so similar to the iPhone that many (or almost all) of these tips work for both devices anyway.[/citation]
You're right--no SIM in a Touch. It was just an example :)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
must be honest, i was thinking something similar to xanxaz (though i would not vocalize it like he did, i understand many demographics come here) but the very first tip (screenshots) i did not even know existed!

i guess everyone can miss the simple features.

G

Thank you very much for this very helpfull article.Not all of us are born with iPOD's tied to our umbilical cords, nor all of us so cocky to admit that not all usability features of a new hightech device are instantly revealed to us by some higher power the moment we hold the gadget in our hands. This article was a good and thoughtfull collection of very usefull tips. THANK YOU!

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
you should have made it 21 tricks to improve the touch

21. place in closest garbage receptacle and replace with a worthy alternative.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]DXWarlock[/nom]you should have made it 21 tricks to improve the touch21. place in closest garbage receptacle and replace with a worthy alternative.[/citation]
This comment is pretty useless--if you don't like the product at least say why. And what is a worthy alternative? Zune? Yes, we obviously like Zune here at Tom's Guide--we've included it in at least half a dozen articles. Liking Zune doesn't make us dislike the Touch.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
well its Ive never seen the need for one. or its overpriced, underpowered options it contains. I'm by no means a MAC/MS/DROID debate starter. all have their flaws.

I had one my wife got me for Christmas for a while because she knows im a tech geek and thought I would like it
and well it felt like a expensive toy Id by for my kids from radio shack. nothing it did made it worthy of carrying around as an extra device along side with my phone.

for the price she payed for it I could have gotten a small laptop or netbook that does so much more.

I just saw it as a $400 gadget that didn't fill any roles that was missing on what I already had. and usually didn't do it as well as the older hardware.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]DXWarlock[/nom]well its Ive never seen the need for one. or its overpriced, underpowered options it contains. I'm by no means a MAC/MS/DROID debate starter. all have their flaws.I had one my wife got me for Christmas for a while because she knows im a tech geek and thought I would like itand well it felt like a expensive toy Id by for my kids from radio shack. nothing it did made it worthy of carrying around as an extra device along side with my phone.for the price she payed for it I could have gotten a small laptop or netbook that does so much more.I just saw it as a $400 gadget that didn't fill any roles that was missing on what I already had. and usually didn't do it as well as the older hardware.[/citation]
Thanks for the added details! I think the Touch doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for people who have a smartphone that plays music and has wifi, so I can see what you're saying. Actually, everyone I know who loves their Touch doesn't have a smartphone.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Thanks heaps for the "Type Numbers While On the Letters Keyboard" tip. It's a real pain typing my name on the iPhone and I try to avoid it whenever possible. I won't be doing that anymore.

I've noticed the tips can apply to the iPhone so I am sharing a couple of my own that I have found very helpful.

When adding hotmail to the Mail app if it doesn't work and you get a server error often it is because the port needs to be configured to allow access at the router / modem. I needed to create a firewall policy to allow port 995 access for hotmail.

"Web Shortcuts: Leave Out Extensions", also the prefix can also be left out. For example to visit tomshardware or tomsguide all that would be needed is the domain name, the www. and .com can be left off and the browser will add them automatically. For some strange reason though this doesn't work for www.hotmail.com on the browser.

G

Thanks for these tips. They are really great and useful. I think most iTouch users don't know these things. I found this site because I was looking for a way to move the cursor precisely. Even though I saw the magnifying glass appear at times, I never realized that there was a cursor there also which could be moved. Thanks again.

G

I am a long-time Mac user and only recently purchased a touch and it is nothing like using the computer, so while people like xanxaz with over-inflated egos might not like these simple feature lists, some of us new users, and I'm sure many others to come, will appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.