2009 Antivirus Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

These guys sound like they don't know what they are talking about. They claimed that Avast skips text files even though "they are a classic refuge for malevolent programs." Text files cannot be executed and therefore cannot contain viruses. The pictures they have are different as well. In any case I am a happy user of Avast and prefer it to McAfee and Norton but have not tried the others.

G

the picture they use for Avast is with a different skin. You can switch the skin at anytime.
I m using avast home too. I think the scanning for HD is bit longer and taxing a lot on my P4 2.6. But its free..no complain...

G

what I used to like on Tom's site was the use of graphs... can't find any in this round up. More over how the can you judge resident scan performance just on start up time? What about disk R/W after all services have been initialized?
Anyway quite poor article

Twoboxer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I use Norton NIS 2009, and have had problems that made me look for another. When I saw this article, I said "Great timing lol !"

Unfortunately, there is nothing in this article that inspires confidence in either the comparisons or the conclusions. There are comments about Norton that my personal experiences tell me are incorrect (at least in the US).

And, as said before, no tables, etc.

Very disappointing.

lumpoco

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I'm very surprised to hear that Norton is not a resource hog. It is the reason I switched to free AV software like Avast and AVG. I'm not going back to Norton even if they paid me...OK I might consider it.

G

Why do you have pictures of Kaspersky on the page with AVG antivirus?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Was this review bought or something? For Norton to get such a good review I am leaning towards it being bought. I mean c'mon, Norton not being a resource hog and stealing your system. How do you expect us to believe that?

G

Why not review Kaspersky Internet Security, instead of just the Antivirus, when the Internet Security package for other brands were reviewed?

Also, The KAV Internest Securitiy is $54.99 at Walmart. The review stated it was double.

I seriously have my doubts and found myself shaking my head after reading the reviews for several of the products in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.