2009 Macbook A1181 Not working.

LightningsalesUK

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
When plugged in it shows a green light on the charger, when I first clicked the power the fans spun up and seem to attempt to boot into the empty drive however No video.

It does not have a battery so when I accidentally knocked the power out it would not boot or spin up again.

Is the Laptop dead now I have pulled the power out by accident?

Thanks

Solution
dead capacitors between other components can do this erratic behavior on mainboards, work weird and all of a sudden, nothing

i wouldn't invest money on this one, just for the cpu, is not a good cpu

iirc, you can remove the cpu on this particular model, perhaps the heatsink too, the last attempt i would try to save it but sell as parts looks more promising at this moment

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
it shouldn't die just for that, otherwise i doing the same i would have killed many laptops in recent years

it does sounds like a bad mainboard, being a 2011 model, parts are cheap, consider trying a mainboard change

i would first try to remove ram and try with another

the fans are spinning right? remove hard disk to see if it offers any activity, try with a external monitor to know if there is signal at least with external monitor

is a old model, often you need a new mainboard but first discard other factors

LightningsalesUK

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Hi,

it is a 2.13Ghz 2009 model.

It is not spinning up or showing any activity anymore, just a plugged in with no response, It has an SSD installed so I cannot check if the drive is getting any power to it.

I have ordered a Mini DVI cable for it.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
do you have a different power adapter?

the ssd, if you can removie it, is better to rule it out as a source of problems

it is not normal that the fans don't spin, this points to damaged mainboard or the fans itself, in this moment remove ram, reseat it, check the fans if you can, see if dust is giving problems and remove as many factors as possible, try with a new charger, with and without battery if you can

LightningsalesUK

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I do not have a charger spare however this is a new charger.

I will go ahead and remove the drive as well as reseating the ram.

LightningsalesUK

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

I have done so, Reset ram twice, nothing, removed SSD, nothing.

The fans do not spin up or start at all.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
if you have another ram stick, to discard the ram, it would help to diagnose but if it doesn't help

sounds like a dead mainboard to me, if you find cheap another to replace this one, perhaps is worth to try with another but is more likely that sell it as spare parts will offer better results, this is after all a 8+ year old mac with a core 2 duo

LightningsalesUK

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Yeah I believe it is dead at this point, I checked with new RAM and nothing.

I do not know why it worked once then never again.

atljsf

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
dead capacitors between other components can do this erratic behavior on mainboards, work weird and all of a sudden, nothing

i wouldn't invest money on this one, just for the cpu, is not a good cpu

iirc, you can remove the cpu on this particular model, perhaps the heatsink too, the last attempt i would try to save it but sell as parts looks more promising at this moment

Solution