2010 Olympic Medals Made From Old Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Can you imagine how many gold plated connectors went into making all those gold medals? Jesus.

I have no idea where they would get the silver and bronze from though...

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
"...but I genuinely didn't know there was such a thing as a 'Winter Olympics' until I saw Cool Runnings." Who is this person? That's either a lie or she has absolutely no sense of embarrassment at being so ill-informed. Unbelievable.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]HibyPrime[/nom]Can you imagine how many gold plated connectors went into making all those gold medals? Jesus.I have no idea where they would get the silver and bronze from though...[/citation]
sounds more like aluminum and copper to me

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Tatts[/nom]"...but I genuinely didn't know there was such a thing as a 'Winter Olympics' until I saw Cool Runnings." Who is this person? That's either a lie or she has absolutely no sense of embarrassment at being so ill-informed. Unbelievable.[/citation]

I'm not embarrassed to admit it. Ireland has been competing in the Summer Olympics since 1924 but we didn't start competing in the Winter Olympics until 1992.

Besides, we have enough trouble coping with the Summer Olympics. Our record is woeful. We were stripped of our only medal in 2004 (show jumping) because the horse was on drugs.

strange1889

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
@ superprelude: these medals undoubtedly cost less when one considers more than hard cash. our resources are limited and daily dwindling, the human cost of mining precious metals is incalculable, the refinement process from raw ore to 'shiny' is environmentally harsh and costly. no I'm not a tree hugger, I dont recycle, and I drive a 3/4 ton gas guzzling van; but I like the statement being made here by the Olympic Games.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zpyrd[/nom]I think it is insulting to award an athlete who trains most of their life to be the best at their sport with a piece of garbage.It says the Olympic committee are too cheap to award medals made of pure gold, pure silver and bronze.[/citation]

Are you for real? You actually believe past medals were solid bronze/silver/gold? I suggest you crawl back under your very sheltering rock.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]superprelude[/nom]From what I heard, if you put them together, you can see watermark of some birds.[/citation]

Each medal has a piece of one of two art pieces (presumably by the medal designers?) on them. So, yes if you combined them just right they'd make two larger pictures.... I haven't seen the larger pictures though.

Status
Not open for further replies.