2011 Macbook Pro Slow...Add RAM?

slowmac89

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
My 2011 Macbook pro (13", 2.3GHz i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3) is slow even with minimal tasks being performed simultaneously. It has crashed 2 or 3 times in the span of its life (<7 years). I just took it to Apple everytime and they fixed it.

I recently had to reformat it because it kept freezing every 2 seconds. That problem seems to be gone now but it still hangs, and all I use it for is browsing, watching youtube and streaming movies. Would adding an extra 4GB stick of RAM help? It doesn't look like a failing HDD issue because disk utility found no errors. One weird issue is that it takes 30 mins to reboot/startup.

Other things I thought I should mention:
- all USB keys have been fried and do not work;
- the following keys do not work: Q, 1, brightness down, volume up/down, backspace.

jaguarskx

Champion
If the performance has noticeably decreased and it hangs from time to time, then adding more RAM will not make a difference.

Something is definitely causing the problem. It could be something simple as the CPU is overheating due to the fact that the Macbook Pro is 6 years old. You could try to replace the thermal paste which could be deteriorating.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop General Discussion 0
I Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 3
J Laptop General Discussion 1
D Laptop General Discussion 1
P Laptop General Discussion 2
R Laptop General Discussion 1
H Laptop General Discussion 4
A Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 4