Review 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 review: The electric car for the rest of us

Jul 11, 2021
I have the 1st edition. The drivable range is about 160 miles. Even after having my car "serviced" the range didn't improve, in fact it is lower. VW says only charge to 80%, and charge as soon as it tells you at 20%. All city driving the car only gets 3.2 miles/kwh. Both local dealer and VW support also told me driving without AC would increase the range. This is my 3rd electric car. Worst one yet.

Jul 27, 2021
We’ve had our ID 4 for a little over a month. With one exception, I basically agree with the article’s review. That exception is just what Larry wrote. The range is terrible and no where near 250+. In fact, we’re averaging 153 miles per 80% charge. That would be wholly unacceptable if not for the fact that we get 3 years of free unlimited charging. That fact was the main reason we decided to go EV. That saves us over $4800 compared to what we were paying for gas on our Ford Explorer. Fortunately, we have the spare time for our 2 weekly trips to Electrify America. The car is primarily my wife’s daily driver and overall she is quite happy with it.

Jul 11, 2021
Thanks for posting this. In someway it's a relief to know that I'm not the only one with horrible mileage. I just don't know how anyone is get the 250 miles and some claim more.

Aug 2, 2021
I have the 1st edition. The drivable range is about 160 miles. Even after having my car "serviced" the range didn't improve, in fact it is lower. VW says only charge to 80%, and charge as soon as it tells you at 20%. All city driving the car only gets 3.2 miles/kwh. Both local dealer and VW support also told me driving without AC would increase the range. This is my 3rd electric car. Worst one yet.
3.2miles/kWh = 246 Miles.

Aug 2, 2021
We’ve had our ID 4 for a little over a month. With one exception, I basically agree with the article’s review. That exception is just what Larry wrote. The range is terrible and no where near 250+. In fact, we’re averaging 153 miles per 80% charge. That would be wholly unacceptable if not for the fact that we get 3 years of free unlimited charging. That fact was the main reason we decided to go EV. That saves us over $4800 compared to what we were paying for gas on our Ford Explorer. Fortunately, we have the spare time for our 2 weekly trips to Electrify America. The car is primarily my wife’s daily driver and overall she is quite happy with it.
Not sure how that's even possible unless you have a bad battery.

Can you be more specific

Hwy Miles at 75? with AC on ?

Jul 11, 2021
For me, no, all city driving. I use the "b" option with driving mode in econ. I never use max ac, i try to keep the ac at 74 with fan set on 2, but that doesnt really cool the car.

I dont know what else to do. Dealer and VW won't do anything

Larry

Aug 2, 2021
For me, no, all city driving. I use the "b" option with driving mode in econ. I never use max ac, i try to keep the ac at 74 with fan set on 2, but that doesnt really cool the car.

I dont know what else to do. Dealer and VW won't do anything

Larry
I have test drove 3 different ID 4's that last one today.

I got 3.5 Miles/kWh on Hwy 100 394 and hwy 169 on a 20 mile test drive.... 3.5 x 77= 269.5 with the AC set at 68 degrees F.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WNChuId1J-kDLBDTLvQQh-934k2Nowsy/view?usp=sharing

Aug 2, 2021
The Last one I drove in My City was a First Edition in City only and got 3.8miles.kWh =292.6 in the City

I dont know what you are guys are doing but somethings not right.

Also YES Most evs you want not charge to 100% everyday especially at a Fast charger to help longevity of Battery.

That Said My Chevy Bolt with 97,000 miles on it still has 5.7 Kwh out of a 60kWh original battery. the Battery will be 5 years old in Dec and I drive Uber/Lyft and charge to %100 everyday

The ID 4 is Actually a 82kWh Battery..77 kWh is useable..so it has a 5kWh buffer...you cannot charge it to 100% (82kWh) so feel free IMO to charge it to100% of the 77kWh useable.

Jul 11, 2021
How far have you driven it down to %? I get the recharge at 20%. From a full charge to 20% how many miles?

I had my Bolt for 3 years then lease was up. 2022 wasn't out yet so went with ID.4. Big mistake.

Aug 2, 2021
How far have you driven it down to %? I get the recharge at 20%. From a full charge to 20% how many miles?

I had my Bolt for 3 years then lease was up. 2022 wasn't out yet so went with ID.4. Big mistake.
No not a Mistake.. you just have a "bad one"..somethings not right. Either something electrical is running ,draining your main battery or you have a bad cell . 1 bad cell can bring down and entire Module within the Battery.

The ride in the ID 4 is amazing compared to the Bolt