21 Must-Have Smartphone Vacation Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I was kinda expecting an app or two to let you remotely do things from your home (i.e. program a DVR, even toggle your lights). Still, those things only apply to people with those specific services pre-installed in their home, so I guess its not applicable to a general vacation guide.

Still, am I the only one who feels a little sick about the fact that some people go on vacation and the only thing they can think about is posting crap to Facebook? Guess what, no one cares about the fun stuff you're doing on your vacation while they're stuck at the office. Not even your friends and family. Ask them sometime if they really care, go ahead, ask them.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I was kinda expecting an app or two to let you remotely do things from your home (i.e. program a DVR, even toggle your lights). Still, those things only apply to people with those specific services pre-installed in their home, so I guess its not applicable to a general vacation guide.Still, am I the only one who feels a little sick about the fact that some people go on vacation and the only thing they can think about is posting crap to Facebook? Guess what, no one cares about the fun stuff you're doing on your vacation while they're stuck at the office. Not even your friends and family. Ask them sometime if they really care, go ahead, ask them.[/citation]
Ha! You definitely make a good point, but I guess if you're really close with your family and you want them to see the sights that you're seeing in an exotic/foreign location, I get why people share. But sharing with *everybody*? That is SO not to my taste.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I was kinda expecting an app or two to let you remotely do things from your home (i.e. program a DVR, even toggle your lights)

I have DirectTV and an iPhone. I can set the DVR with my phone while on the road in case I forgot to set it up before I left, I have 2 DVR and I can even set in which I want to record the episode or season. I believe Dish has a similar app too. I also have a Sling Box, you buy the box and install the app one the phone and with a little configuration you can watch TV on your phone, no monthly fee. You can change the channel access your recorded shows, etc. and all just like cramping your TV screen on your phone. its awesome. Air Video let you stream all the videos on your computer to your phone, no matter the format, if need it it will convert while streaming, another great app. They come handy when stuck in an airport for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.