256GB SSD + 1TB SSHD (8GB SSD) External vs. 512GB SSD + 1TB SSHD (8GB SSD)

baplg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Essentially, my question is do I need 512GB of SSD if I have an external SSHD, or would 256GB suffice?
I am an engineering student, and my school uses a virtual learning environment for all of the CAD and Solidworks type programs. Obviously 512 is ideal, but is it overkill?

kanewolf

Judicious
How much is necessary to available ANY TIME? That storage needs to be internal. Do you work on large files away from your desk? If so then that space needs to be accounted for on your internal storage. Only YOU can answer if 256 or 500GB for internal storage is required.

baplg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

In reality ill rarely use the laptop unless it is at a desk or in a classroom. So even if i store all of my documents and such on the External, and keep all of my commonly used on the SSD internal, i feel like 256 is plenty, since i can bring the external with me if i need to access any document of some sort, which will be rare.

kanewolf

Judicious

It sounds like you already had an answer before asking the question. Not sure what you expected for answers ...

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I agree because each year our insdustry default storage space goes up. Now adding SSD's affected that but that was because they were year 2.00 to 3 .00 per GB 2 years ago and now they are .50 GB for SSD's.

baplg

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015

The 256GB is $80 and the 512GB is $160. I ended up getting the 256. The deal ended so im glad i ordered while i did.

Its a crucial MX100