26 Keyboard Shortcuts To Memorize Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think you missed some really good ones :

Windows Key + R : start run prompt (XP)
Windows Key + E : start file explorer (XP)
Windows Key + M : minimize all windows (XP)
Windows Key + Shift + M : restore all windows (XP)
Ctrl + Shift + Esc : start task manager (XP)
Alt+Space : show current application's window controls (XP)
F2 : in explorer and office applications : change the text of an object
F4 : within Office Applications - Repeat last formatting option
F5 : refresh or reload page (explorer, browsers, etc.. )
F9 : Office applications : refresh selected text links (for TOC)
Tab : Advance to next field or clickable object
Shift+Tab : Advance to previous field or clickable object
Ctrl+Enter : In Excel : insert whitespace in this cell
In Email : send email
F7 : Spellcheck (MS Office, Email clients)
Ctrl+N : start new instance of program, MS Office: new document
Ctrl+S : Save
Ctrl+O : Open
Alt+(underlined character) : enable drop down menu with this character
Alt+F4 : close application in focus
ALt+PrintScrn : Take a screenshot of active application only and put into clipboard ( alt+printscr , win+r , mspaint , ctrl+v, ctrl+s saves your screenshot -- start to finish )
Menu button : brings up a menu on the current object you've selected -- your keyboard doesn't have it, lots do ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menu_key )
Ctrl+Alt+Del : bring up login screen, can be configured to bring up taskmgr

that's enough for now. Save your wrists and use more complex ones by setting up your own shortcut keys !

and visit here :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

nammi-namm

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
The last one, is hell. I have no clue how many times I've antecedently sent stuff with it. I hit Tab by accident some times when reaching keys near it and then try and use backspace to fix it, only to find out I pressed enter by mistake instead and send a message that ends with a half finished word.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
good selection of shortcuts, those are the most popular ones.
I also want to add a shortcut, on some sites that require your ID and password, hit TAB after typing your ID so that you proceed directly on the password input.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I disable my Windows key for gaming, but some of those are really useful.
Alt-Space, F2, F5, and Alt-F4 are all pretty high on my list.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I think there were some good ones, but like other people have stated, there are many other ones. I think that most of these shortcuts could have and should have been grouped together into the same page.

I mean why the heck do we need to have shortcuts for both the "plus" and "minus", or "left" and "right"?

On an article about making things faster, it sure was a bit tedious clicking through each of these pages. Also, when are we going to get a page index for these kinds of articles?

Anyways, I learned a thing or two. Typically whenever I read these kinds of articles, I always come away with at least one thing that I can implement and become more efficient. Only time will tell if this actually happens.

greymanx

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I'm shocked that they left out ctrl+z. Ever try to undo 5+ actions in AutoCad or photoshop by clicking Edit>undo?

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Ctrl+F and Ctrl+H is really dependent of user language.

Ctrl+Click for browsing also works with middle mouse (or well) click, wich requires a single hand, generally already on the mouse. Also, the middle button over tabs closes them on many browsers.

another useful combinations:
Windows + E opens windows explorer
Windows or R, opens the textbox to write commands
Windows + Pause (more useful in XP) open My Computer properties.

dedhorse

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Do you really need 27 pages? Couldn't you have grouped some of them together (shift-left, shift-right, or the copy/cut/paste short cuts)? It's kind of a pain flipping through so many pages (and waiting for them to load).

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks to Tom's for the useful article and to theorem for adding to it. I didn't know all of them! I already use shift + arrow keys all the time, and now I will use shift + home/end. also windows key + r or windows key + e are very handy

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I'm surprised they didn't include Ctrl+T (open new tab) in the browser section. I use as much as the F5 refresh. It does go wonky when you're watching flash, but for the most part it's invaluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.