277,000 Users Could be Kicked Off The Internet This Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
..and the Internet will be a better place. Let's face it a little less stupid out there will only help.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Your average joe and granny rarely checks tech-related news, and they might be in denial or not even know what is a virus.

My sister was in denial when I found like 3 known spywares on her computer. At the end, she asked, "What are they going to do with my email account, spam my contacts?"

Me: "Yeah, with links to the spywares that your computer has."

Her: "I don't care if they get infected or not, it's not my business."

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Should read 277,000 Windows users may be kicked off the net.[/citation]

Macs aren't immune to viruses you know.

G

[citation][nom]Hazbot[/nom]Macs aren't immune to viruses you know.[/citation]

Sure, but he did not mention Macs, you did. Also, Windows is the only platform affected by this one, which makes his comment perfectly valid and not trolling...

...your comment, not so much.

G

Actually, one article did mention Macs

July 9 could be ‘Internet doomsday’ for some (so check your PC or Mac)
On April 26, 2012 By bgreene
by Suzanne Choney July 9 might be “Internet doomsday” for PC and Mac users who haven’t taken steps to make sure their systems are not infected with what’s being called DNSChanger malware. That’s right: Your Internet connection may not work that day because the safety net now in [...]Read Full Article →

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]The fantasy that any governing body has the ability to control a large scale connectivity or lack thereof shows an embarrassing lack of understanding of how the internet came to be. Hint: It wasn't Al Gore.[/citation]
If you mean that you don't believe that the FBI will actually be able to take these 277,000 computers offline, then you should understand that this is a special case.

The computers infected by this virus are having all their internet communication routed through a specific set of servers. If those servers went down, then the infected computers would be unable to communicate with the rest of the internet.

Because the FBI seized control of the servers that were routing infected computers, they do have the ability to cut off internet for the infected computers.

The only reason they left those servers running as long as they did was so that people wouldn't be unexpectantly disconnected. They gave everyone enough advance warning for them to get their computers in order, and now they're cutting the infected off.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Should read 277,000 Windows users may be kicked off the net.[/citation]
Stop the ignorance, check your mac!
The Mac variants of the malware, found starting in 2008, were known as OSX.RSPlug.A, OSX/Puper, and OSX/Jahlav-C.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57322316-263/fbi-tackles-dnschanger-malware-scam/

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
FBI should give all infected users a warning sign with the FBI seal so end users what is going on and technical support will know what to do. To just cut off the internet and then show a typical "cannot connect" page is going to waste people's time.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]FBI should give all infected users a warning sign with the FBI seal so end users what is going on and technical support will know what to do. To just cut off the internet and then show a typical "cannot connect" page is going to waste people's time.[/citation]
People have had plenty of time. Cutting them off will do them a favor and jar them into reality of taking some responsibility over their computers. They are computers not appliances.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This virus is Windows-only so technically he's correct that 277,000 Windows computers will be kicked off the net.

Amazing how some people get so worked up over a mention of Apple or Mac...

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]NIXvirusFREE1950[/nom]Sure, but he did not mention Macs, you did. Also, Windows is the only platform affected by this one, which makes his comment perfectly valid and not trolling......your comment, not so much.[/citation]
DNSChanger can and has affected OSX, some of those 277,000 are Macs, don't be stupid and think this can't affect your Mac cause it certainly can.

Hazbot

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]This virus is Windows-only so technically he's correct that 277,000 Windows computers will be kicked off the net.Amazing how some people get so worked up over a mention of Apple or Mac...[/citation]

There is always a way to port any program with relative ease, not only that but there were instances when this virus was found on macs, when it comes down to viruses, it's not a question of whether they'll be ported, but when.

Status
Not open for further replies.