3 monitors on a laptop

hedning

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014
Currently, I am running a lenovo laptop and plug into a docking station with 1 vga port and 2 DVI-D ports. I have 1 VGA monitor and 1 DVI-D monitor running giving me dual. However, I want to be able to have the laptop monitor stay on at the same time giving me 3 monitors, but it shuts itself off when I plug into the docking station. I have tried extending under the "Display" settings in Windows 7 and it forces me to only have 2 monitors regardless of the setup and will shut off the 3rd when I try enabling it. Anyone know how I can get all 3 working? I have looked everywhere online to no avail. Thanks

Solution
Check the BIOS, it may have some settings to enable what you need. Though this may depend upon what graphics chip you have in it.

You might also consider buying a third external monitor to hook up to your docking station if the second dvi port is active.

I have an old T60P that is driving 3 external monitors but the dock has a slot for a video card to enable this.

The newer docks don't have the slot anymore. However, my understanding is that they can drive 3 external monitors.

hedning

Estimable
Nov 11, 2014

T430s It is running an Intel i5 and Windows 7. Only a couple years old I believe.

skm67

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
Check the BIOS, it may have some settings to enable what you need. Though this may depend upon what graphics chip you have in it.

You might also consider buying a third external monitor to hook up to your docking station if the second dvi port is active.

I have an old T60P that is driving 3 external monitors but the dock has a slot for a video card to enable this.

The newer docks don't have the slot anymore. However, my understanding is that they can drive 3 external monitors.

Solution