300-600 $ Headset (headphones) options?

Gnuz

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I hope you guys can help figure out what is the best headset (headphones and a mic) option around 300 $.

I currently have a razer carchrias headset, which is giving me all kinds of problems. So I've decided to toss it away and buy a new one, and I would like to do it properly this time. But I've gotten confused by the amount of options and advice. I started looking for a gaming headset, and according to some the Sennheiser PC 363d is the best option. Initially I found that it got a lot of praise, but then seemly most say its not worth it's price in terms of sound quality. Searching a bit more I found it to be a broad agreement that gaming headsets are trash compared to quality headphones. The advice is then to buy a good set of headphones (open?) as well as a standalone mic. I thin I lean to this option. All this is fine but I don't feel any wiser on what to buy with so many options available.

I know most headphones and even high-end headsets will be an improvement compared to my current headset, but I would like to do more than just slightly improve. Since it will be my only audio output, I will be using it for gaming as well as listening to music and when watching movies and tv-series on netflix and HBO, I would like to get this right and get a pair of quality headphones with great sound that can do all this, if possible.
When I game, i'm often in a voice call with my friends so I need a mic as well (they currently tell me, the sound quality of my mic is really bad), whether it be part of a headset or standalone. - I was thinking of perhaps going with a modmic solution or maybe a snowball microphone. The main focus of my budget would be on the headphones.

I currently do not have a sound card in my build, but would buy one if necessary. My motherboard is a Asus MB Z97-AR if that matters (I don't know if it will have problems powering some headphones?) I don't know enough to spot which price range is necessary to get a great product, that said I'm looking for a solution around 400 $. I don't mind spending more if need be though, but definitely not more than 600 total.

teengohan389

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

In my opinion, Audio-technica ATH-M70X is the way to go. But you could also buy some Sennheiser too. Any pair of headphones with high fidelity and neutral sound. But I trust those two brands.

Narzter

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I recommend HyperX Cloud II

Very comfortable and suit all your needs. Only possible issue is that you wouldn't use them in public.

teengohan389

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015
If you're on a desktop, then you might want to change your set up a bit. Buy a separate mic to attach near your face and some really good headphones that are 350 ohms. It's the best set up for excellent sound. I don't agree on headsets, lots of them are poorly made.

teengohan389

Estimable
Mar 25, 2015

In my opinion, Audio-technica ATH-M70X is the way to go. But you could also buy some Sennheiser too. Any pair of headphones with high fidelity and neutral sound. But I trust those two brands.

Gnuz

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I think I'll just make an update, since I still haven't decided. I have decided to use a modmic with the headphones I'm buying, but I haven't settled on which.I've kinda considered beyerdynamic’s DT 990, DT 880 and the HiFiMan's HE-400.

But yeah, I'm probably looking for open or semi-open, around headphones. From what I have gathered, choice depends a lot on which type of sound one likes. But I don't know what would be my choice in preferred style of sound. - I think I have a generel broad taste in music. I mostly listens to diffent tracks I find and enjoy, not a specific genre. I listen to some dubstep, some rock some rap, a bit of pop. What I think I enjoy the most and listen to the most currently, im not sure of the specific genre, I think its just instrumental/orchestral(?). But something like "Dragonland" or "Empire of Angels" by Thomas Bergersen. (It might be electronic though?) Something like that, but in different moods. Also soundtracks or scores of movies I like. That is probably what I listen to most at the moment.

I'm looking for headphones, which will be good for gaming, but its not going to be the only purpose. If I can get something diverse enough, then I'd like something which also does movies and series sound well. I will be using the headphones for this purpose as much as gaming. Comfortability is important, I don't have other options for output, so I will be using them for extended periods of time.

theLeggo

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
If you are wanting something you can wear all day, and is a good all arounder, I would suggest Sennheiser HD600s. They are not the best if you are a competitive FPS gamer, something like CS:GO, but for everything else they are great, and scale well with different amps.

Another one would be Fidelio X2's, which don't require an amp and DAC, a detachable cable so if you wanted the Vmoda BoomPro mic you can get that, and a good soundstage for competitive gaming even.

Also, to toss another one out, the AKG k7xx or K712 will be great for all day comfort, but need an amp.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AiapaecGaming Audio 0
T Audio 0
B Audio 3
A Audio 1
Randall The 2nd Audio 0
CatTheMightyLord Audio 0
V Audio 1
R Audio 0
Vexzionel Audio 3
M_RiGGz Audio 5
thomasTAK Audio 0