32" Vizio (2015 Edition) as a PC moniter ? Thoughts ?

LordKeoke

Estimable
Sep 3, 2015
Looking for honest help ! I was thinking about using a 32inch Vizio ( 2015 edition ) tv as a PC monitor for general movie watching and gaming ( i play stuff like Black Ops 3 and LoL etc. )

Would that suffice well as a PC monitor ? Will it be good enough to enjoy gaming ?

Here is a link to said TV from Amazon : Amazon Vizio 32"

<mod edit>

merged your threads. this is what you said in the other one [appears duplicate, but posted here]

Looking for honest help ! I was thinking about using a 32inch Vizio ( 2015 edition ) tv as a PC monitor for general movie watching and gaming ( i play stuff like Black Ops 3 and LoL etc. )

Would that suffice well as a PC monitor ? Will it be good enough to enjoy gaming ?

Here is a link to said TV from Amazon : Vizio 32" TV Amazon

Solution
Hello,

Just want to clear up some confusion. Response time is not input lag. Ghosting can be minimized on a TV if you buy a 100/120 Hz panel, rather than 50/60 Hz. I'm 6' from a 55", that's twice as big as the 40" mentioned above:

1292.58 / 683.68 = 1.89

No pixel structure, HD looks great, SD looks awful, games look great on both console and PC. I follow the THX standard, and despite what it seems like, I'm actually too far away, still. The key for a non blurry picture on PC; is you have to make sure the color resolution is high enough, so it won't look blurry or washed out when using it with a PC.

The Vizio OP listed beats most IPS monitors around the same price, though the amount of dimming zones can be distracting, but it...
televisions can certainly be used as pc monitors. i've been using a 40" sony for years. i tend to sit a bit close [varies from 4ft to 6ft] away.

there are some caveats though:

-even on the best tvs response times arent quite as low as some monitors. if you are very sensitive to input lag you might want to bear this in mind.
-text may be harder to read than on monitors. even though overall its bigger on screen the arrangement of pixels can make it slightly less clear.
-1080p at a large resolution [unless you sit farther away] will appear less sharp than a smaller monitor at 1080p would

i use mine mostly for browsing here, watching movies and playing the occasional game. works fine as long as you take the above into account. games appear bigger than life [more immersive because of that i think, though arent quite as sharp as a result of bigger screen without resolution increase] and having a tv allows me to kick back at the desk and watch a movie if i want instead of sitting up watching a small monitor.

its certainly not for everyone but its certainly an option. all in all i do like having it set up this way myself given how i use my system.

runesmite14

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Well, it depends how close you are to it.

If you're sitting right in front of it, I wouldn't recommend it.
- The pixels will be very large, it will not look like smooth 1080p, and you will have a hard time making text readable.
- Response time for TV's is not very good, if you do FPSs and you want to stay competitive, it's not going to be a good choice.
- You'll probably notice ghosting in games, and the color might be hard to get right.

This is from personal experience. I've found that the actual desktop is harder to use than a game or videos for the reason above. Personally, I would go with a nice IPS monitor if you're looking for a good video and gaming experience.

Hello,

Just want to clear up some confusion. Response time is not input lag. Ghosting can be minimized on a TV if you buy a 100/120 Hz panel, rather than 50/60 Hz. I'm 6' from a 55", that's twice as big as the 40" mentioned above:

1292.58 / 683.68 = 1.89

No pixel structure, HD looks great, SD looks awful, games look great on both console and PC. I follow the THX standard, and despite what it seems like, I'm actually too far away, still. The key for a non blurry picture on PC; is you have to make sure the color resolution is high enough, so it won't look blurry or washed out when using it with a PC.

The Vizio OP listed beats most IPS monitors around the same price, though the amount of dimming zones can be distracting, but it still got a surprisingly high rating by reviewers and amazon consumer reviews.

Here's ideally what you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tOF_Y_-zSQ

Circling back to input lag. Vizio TV's are down to about 30 ms, that's as good as the older Sony BRAVIA TV's were getting, today they're around 40-50 ms though, if not a frame slower. Always go with a bigger screen if you can. Majority of consumers regret not buying bigger screen than what they got, that's a fact.

All the best!

Solution