360 total security malware removal on windows 8.1 desktop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

partha1955

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi folks I am using windows 8.1 for my desktop (Gigabyte 78LMTUSB3 mobo corsair value select 4gb ddr3 ram AMD FX 6300 CPU). Recently I found a antivirus programme called 360 total security in my computer. I never downloaded or installed it. It was popping up with some messages etc. Since I already have malware bytes anti virus and malware detection and removal software, I wanted to uninstall 360 total security. To my dismay I found out that it didn't have uninstall option. Searching the net proved that it is a dangerous Trojan, and it cannot be removed by anti malware or windows defender etc. Trying to uninstall the software from the programme files with administrator privilege, came out with access denied message. So was to use regedit method of removal.

Google search and youtube search and solutions found therein was of no use. Then some ware I found that down loading and installing the software from www.360totalsecurity.com again and then try to uninstall it may help. Then I downloaded the 360 totalsecurity software (Malware !) and it said it already existed in my system, and went on to update it. Now I found the Un-install option. Simply uninstalled it with the CC cleaner. It is gone now.

Solution
The miracle of self-installing 360 TS.....talk about high tech software! :)

(I am using it as I type this, although, oddly enough, I had to click on a few things to intentionally download it; however, 360TS seems quite competent and thorough, and, oddly enough, appears to have a standard 'uninstall' option, although this will not prevent some users from thinking they can just delete it's folder...)

Bostyan87

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013

For me works ok. I test it on a few computers and is very good softwares. I didnt use it for 2 months and my games didn`t works smooth. I clean it my computer with Care complete and other IObit software IObit Smart Defrag Pro etc. and after restart games works smooth! End other things cleaning computer garbage from softwares I will not even say it....

If you don`t like it heh is not my problem :p

Same is for Windows Defender everyone saying is shit and why I never had any virus why my computer was always clean when I install others AV :p

G

I use 360 TS for almost 2 years and I can assure it is NO malware (when downloaded by the official website).
what could have happened to our lad above, was some virus masked as 360 TS, can't be sure. all I know is that 360 (again: downloaded from the official website) is not spyware.
also, 360 NEVER shows pop ups. in 2 years being using it the only pop up it shows is when the computer boots and that pop up is to show you the boot time... if it was showing pop ups is because that was not 360 TS, was some virus masked as 360 antivirus. otherwise, how will you explain 360's popularity? how would you explain 360's association with bit defender and Avira so that 360 antivirus could have avira and bitdefender engines? how would you explain thousands of user recommendations? how would you explain 4 stars on Cnet, filehippo and techspot? and above all: how would you explain that 6 of my friends are using 360 TS and NONE told me about something like this?

I keep saying that what that lad had is a virus masked as 360TS and it's not a real copy of 360TS.

Ayesha_2

Commendable
Apr 15, 2016

Blitzkrieg469

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
If 360 shows up on your PC by itself, without you going to get it, then it should be deleted. Legit programs don't install themselves in the background without you knowing it. Legit programs don't tell you that Windows programs and other good programs are malware. If it doesn't have an uninstall option, it's probably not legit. I don't use 360 because I think it's junk. Some people don't have issues with it. I've been using CCleaner, Advanced System Care, and anyting else from Iobit for years, without issues or complaints. Just saying

G

360TS does the job of avast, ccleaner and ASC, all in 1 exe.

G

Recently I found some information that an hacker created a "legit" version of 360TS, that serves an Unknown purpose, but I think it's just to monitor you and toy with your privacy. 360 TS is NOT opensource, but you can use reverse process or whatever it's called to see the source code used, and than make the modifications you want - in this case: put a virus on it's source code. anyway, there is no known method to unninstall that virus, it does not shows on the system add/remove programs and it seems that other applications like revo unninstaller for example don't detect it. the best way to do it, is by using an older restore point, yet the virus can persist if it got installed on any folder belonging to any user. so, best option is to format the computer, and be careful on what you click next time...

ungeekgirl

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I got an email in my junk folder from "Google Team Green" - not unusual as I get updates because I live in an upcoming Google city. I marked it as safe and opened it. Message said the content could not be displayed, so I clicked the Details link. Mistake! It opened another tab, saying DO NOT TURN OFF COMPUTER, and that the zeus virus had been detected, and a pop up (ostensibly from Microsoft), with a tech support phone # to call. So I did...it was ITTECHNINJA, and they first tried to sell me Symantec and when I refused because of the price, they eventually sold me 360TS and then spent about an hour cleaning up files. I didn't know it was a free program, and looking at the invoice I see they charged me for the tech support. Now I am worried that they actually installed something harmful. Has anyone else had this experience? Should I do something? If I sound like a neophyte it is because I am, in tech world!