380 connected to 4k TV

Sep 9, 2018
Hi gang,

First of all I'm not entirely certain this is the correct section but it kind of fits. Just wanted to be certain this setup will work before I bite the bullet and purchase everything. I'm planning to connect my 380 to this tv via this cable the problem however lies with the cable. There are numerous cables and adapters and I'm not sure which one is right for me. I believe the graphics card is Display Port 1.2, but can I use a 1.1 or a 1.4 cable? Would a cable even cut it or do I need to use an adapter?

Solution
The cable you link to, if it is as described, will work.
I don't think using HDMI will help since the TV won't show 4k at all unless the video card is HDMI 2.0 and I can't find that in the specs of that card.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I assume the goal is 4K@60hz?

Probably won't work. Pretty sure R9-380 has DisplayPort 1.1a and HDMI 1.4.

HDMI 1.4 can do 4K, but only at 30hz.

DisplayPort 1.1a can also do 4K but only at 30hz.

Best option is to hook it up with a standard high speed HDMI cable and get your 30hz.

Sep 9, 2018
Thanks for the reply. The goal is indeed 4k @ 60Hz. I was under the impression that the 380 uses display port 1.2a but I'm yet to confirm. According to YouTube and Reddit using a rather expensive 1.2 display port to hdmi 2.0 adapter from Club3d should do the trick but I just wanted confirmation before I buy anything. If worse comes to worse what does it mean if I connect my pc running a 380 to a TV locked at 30Hz?