3D Televisions Finally Getting a Glasses Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Regardless, for me 3D TV have a ways to go before I'll be replacing my plain 'ol vanilla 2D LED Samsung. The 3D picture is incredible, but the rechargeable, heavy glasses are not IMO. ...Nor is the headache that unspectacled friends get when there aren't enough glasses to go around.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
While I am still not convinced that 3D is here to stay, at least they are finally doing what needed to be done for a while; an actual standard. If it proves successful then maybe 3D will become the standard for all TV's.

mrpijey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Yay! Glasses! More crap hardware, more annoying stuff to wear, more headaches, and perfect for all of us that already have a pair on our noses.

This feels so 1995.... Back then I had a pair of shutter glasses for my videocard, it was annoying back then and it won't be less annoying now.

Stop this 3D TV crap madness and give us some proper "3D" by adding thin and high resolution screens onto some nice looking glasses. The technology already exists so what's the problem? Hell, even Nintendo has shown it can send high definition video wirelessly so that's not a problem. Apple has shown we can have highdef LCD screens, and add motion sensors to it and we're done. Then a more proper "3D" can be viewed by us that can't watch the image-shift 3D we have on the TVs.

All we need next is a set of gravity generators so we can feel the G-forces when we crash our brand new car into a brick wall and break our spines by sitting in our sofas.

Todays 3D with shutter glasses and junk are a joke. Just a way for TV manufacturers to force us to buy new TVs with old technology.

Pyree

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]While I am still not convinced that 3D is here to stay, at least they are finally doing what needed to be done for a while; an actual standard. If it proves successful then maybe 3D will become the standard for all TV's.[/citation]
I believe wide angle glassesless 3D TV is the real game changer and I am not getting 3D TV until then. So I believe more effort should be devoted to that.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
What about that glasses-less ? ? why not just it the standard ?

this is just stupid and makes me hope the "3d" TV fad chokes, proably just want to have something else that requires consumers pay more money.

also i'l likely enver get a 3d tv for teh simpel fact i ahve poor eye sight namely one of my eyes is horrible compared to the other and that makes it impossible for me to use this tech , with or with out glasses i'll always see two images because my right eye sees so drastically worse than my left eye. Same case for my aunt too (she has a glass eye so technically only has one eye ) and these tech tricks always require two good eyes.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]While I am still not convinced that 3D is here to stay, at least they are finally doing what needed to be done for a while; an actual standard. If it proves successful then maybe 3D will become the standard for all TV's.[/citation]

This will never haoppen and i hope to hell this isn't the industries goal , read my previoius post 3d tech only works for people with two good eyes any one with one eye or one eye that has much worse sight than the other , this technology is useless. though i'm guessing the 3d is switchable off and on ? if not it needs to be,
but stil my biggest reason for hoping this doesn't happen is pricing companies are gouging tv prices up for 3d support quite rediculously, and i'd hate them to stop offering alternatives for those of us that don't want to pay out the a-- for features we'll never use.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]@mrpijey. That is virtual reality and the image is still 2D. You don't get depth perception in those device.[/citation]
With a separate image going to each eye, 3D (depth perception) is a given. Head tracking would be impossible, but depth is a no-brainer.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
As long as they force me to put glasses on top of glasses, I'll say no to the 3D effect.

Besides, there are no TV and very few quality movies in 3D. Some people actually like to see more than just dumb Hollywood blockbusters. You know, like art films...

mikeny1

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I would not wear a device like this. There are far too many negative possibilities.
At the movies, 3D is just a scam to get you to pay 50% more.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
In a year or two there will be 3D TVs that do NOT require glasses for an amazing natural 3D effect. People are wasting their time and money on first-gen technology. Have fun watching a 3D movie by yourself, sitting in the exact right position. Or spend ridiculous cash for extra pairs of shutter glasses, all which have to be charged via USB.

I have personally tried several 3D TV's, I have great eyesight, and it started to get uncomfortable after the first 20 mins. Its basically tricking your eyes into seeing depth on the screen, so after a while this becomes almost like a workout for your eyes. Brutes.

Pyree

Distinguished

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I'm hoping that there will be a split in production where TV models of 3d and 2d can tun parallel with each other, because frankly, I don't want to switch to 3d.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
With this new agreement, the companies intend to work together on the development and licensing of radio frequency (RF) system 3D active glasses technology, including RF system protocols between consumer 3D active glasses and 3D displays such as televisions, personal computers, projectors and 3D theaters with XPAND active shutter glasses.

"Expert confirmed that wearing 3D glasses near the head caused cancer."

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
For most movies 3d is poorly implemented (there are exceptions), but for games, it is amazing and enriching.

if you have not tried 3d gaming, it would behoove you to find someone with the setup and witness it for yourself.

I really dont understand why people are so opposed to shutter glasses, that is the best way to get the 3d effect without requiring a level viewing angle, as in parallax screens. My evo 3d works well with the parallax, but if you tilt your head slightly while viewing, it is disorienting, rough on your eyes, and it takes a sec to readjust.

After a week or so using the shutter glasses your eyes adjust to the effect far more quickly and the fatigue from extended play diminishes.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I'm not sure what technology I would prefer between glassesless and glasses with 3D. With glasses it is possible for much more accurate depth perception, but of course glasses are annoying to wear. The technology that doesn't require glasses are limited on how many depths they can show you, the glasses tech doesn't have any limits.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I am surprised these companies don't wanna sue each other regarding patents claiming to have the first 3D HDTV

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I hope they are better than some of the demos I have seen in stores. My eyes are not as good as they used to be so the glasses do not work well for me. Hurts my eyes trying to adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS