3g sim card not working on 3g phone

Baneaxe

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Hi, I have recently bought a smartphone from china, model - Jiayu F1 which shows that it is 3g.

I needed it to house my 3g sim card from one of our local network providers - Melita. When I checked which phones are compatible with their reps, they said it must be 3g ( wcdma 2100mhz , I believe) therefore I chose the phone mentioned above which matched these criteria...

However when I inserted my sim, it does not connect whatsoever...tried both slots( dual sim) but nothing...any idea?

Thanks in advance

Solution

I'm not familiar with the phone, so i cannot say for sure.
It may take some research on your part.
The IT department may be able to help.

Best of luck!

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hopefully it isn't a knock-off.
China is infamous for that.

Maybe try un-locking/Rooting the phone?

I rooted an Inspire 4G on AT&T, then gave it to my friend on T-Mobile just a week ago.
I don't know if that may be what's stopping it, but if a return isn't possible, i would try that.

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
I would get the exact radio frequencies from both, but if you bought China, you probably just got burned.
I wouldn't trust anything sold there, I speak from experience.

Only buy what a moron could make and not screw up (cables, screen protectors, etc) - if it's complicated electronics, I would rather touch someone with the plague.

Anyhow, good luck. Don't expect much aftermarket support.

Baneaxe

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

Thanks for your reply, is it hard to root a phone? If I cannot manage myself do you think the IT dept of my network provider could help me with rooting my phone or should I look for a third party?

TomTom111

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

I'm not familiar with the phone, so i cannot say for sure.
It may take some research on your part.
The IT department may be able to help.

Best of luck!

Solution

Baneaxe

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Cheers :)