Jun 11, 2018
I have a pile of money that I'd like to spend on a gaming PC (VR and otherwise) that I could also use for other day-to-day activities. I'd like something powerful enough to run Fallout VR smoothly on good settings. I'd like it to also be reasonably quiet and easy to maintain. I prefer air-cooled due to some bad experiences with liquid cooling. I generally don't like overclocking or anything that involves much tinkering. Any thoughts on the below? Am I overspending in one area or underspending in another?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2szgnH

Solution
my thoughts:
CPU: if you don't like overclocking, you can get a 8086k it has a higher boosted clock than your average 8700k.

Cooler is good.

Mobo is good, there are other options. but asus is a solid choice.

ram, do you need 32gb of ram? most pc is overkill with 16GB. unless you are using memory intense workload, you can spare $250 budget elsewhere.

storage: best ssd right now is the Samsung 970 PRO, followed by 970 EVO. WD is pretty fast, but if you want the best, samsung 970 is better.

also i'm confused about the hdd choice. you have a sshd and a hdd with similar capacity.

Videocard: good stuff, but i support if you want RGB to sync up, the 1080ti strix is a better choice, performance wise, strix and ftw3 is very similar...

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
my thoughts:
CPU: if you don't like overclocking, you can get a 8086k it has a higher boosted clock than your average 8700k.

Cooler is good.

Mobo is good, there are other options. but asus is a solid choice.

ram, do you need 32gb of ram? most pc is overkill with 16GB. unless you are using memory intense workload, you can spare $250 budget elsewhere.

storage: best ssd right now is the Samsung 970 PRO, followed by 970 EVO. WD is pretty fast, but if you want the best, samsung 970 is better.

also i'm confused about the hdd choice. you have a sshd and a hdd with similar capacity.

Videocard: good stuff, but i support if you want RGB to sync up, the 1080ti strix is a better choice, performance wise, strix and ftw3 is very similar.

case: purely personal choice.

psu: fine.

monitor: it's fine. if you have budget, many will suggest you to get a 2k ips 144 hz monitor with gsync, again, it's up to your budget.

Solution
Jun 11, 2018

Wow- great feedback. Thanks!

I'll look into the 8086k a bit more

I'll think about cutting ram to 16 GB to maybe upgrade the monitor. I felt the budget had plenty of room to allow a bit of just-in-case, but there may be areas I'll get more use.

I know my HD choices are odd - I want super-fast storage for OS and 1-2 key games, faster storage for all my other games and apps etc, then cheap bulk storage for media, backups, etc.

zyh1987

Proper
Mar 16, 2018
by looking for the 8086k turbo table. it looks like 8086k only changes boost clock for single core. 8086k is binned to perform better than the average 8700k. but how much better, it's questionable.

2 core and up, the turbo table is the same.

i'm wondering if the chip will be stable under MCE (multi-core-enhancement), for $100 dollars, it's probably not worth it.